Harvesting Hokkaido squash?

• 4 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Harvesting Hokkaido squash?
« on: August 05, 2021, 23:59 »
I’ve grown Hokkaido squash for the first time this year. They’ve gone potty and are covered in fruits. How do I know when to harvest them, and how do I go about storing them? The biggest look ripe (bright orange) and sound hollow now, and are  about 6-8” diameter. Does that mean it’s time to start picking, please? And will they store ok in a dark kitchen cupboard? That’s probably the coolest place I have, bar the fridge. If they’ll keep in the fridge, even better…

Thanks in advance!
I don't really look like my avatar.

Nobbie

Re: Harvesting Hokkaido squash?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:02 »
I leave my squash on the vine until the first frosts are forecast since this gives more time for the skins to harden which will prolong storage time. The biggest problem in storage is moulds which like stale air and high humidity. I think the fridge would be too humid, so the cupboard is probably better although could you leave the door open to allow air circulation?

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 11:39 »
Thanks, Nobbie, that’s very helpful indeed. Good to know I can leave them for the time being, and for the advice about air circulation. I have a small office/bedroom where I can turn off the heating which might be a better bet? Is there any benefit of storing them in the dark? Just delighted to be getting what seems to be a great crop at my first attempt. Thanks again!  :)

crh75

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 13:45 »
They don't need to be stored in the dark.  I leave my sqaushes is the greenhouse until it gets really cold - last year they stayed in there all winter (or until eaten).

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 14:10 »
Thanks, Nobbie, that’s very helpful indeed. Good to know I can leave them for the time being, and for the advice about air circulation. I have a small office/bedroom where I can turn off the heating which might be a better bet? Is there any benefit of storing them in the dark? Just delighted to be getting what seems to be a great crop at my first attempt. Thanks again!  :)

Potatoes need to be stored in the dark as they go green, but no such issue with squash. I would expect them to store better in light as the UV will deter a lot of moulds and fungus which seem to be what finally gets to them.

xx
Harvesting squash

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 10, 2018, 15:53
by 8doubles
xx
Harvesting little gem squash

Started by jb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 23:32
by jb
xx
Butternut Squash Harvesting

Started by Avocetboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 21:07
by sunshineband
xx
Harvesting Spaghetti Squash

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 00:55
by Annie

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 43 queries.