Spuds and Onions !!

• 18 Replies

Snoop

Re: Spuds and Onions !!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 17:12 »
I reckon the shallots I grew from seed are just as good as the shallots I grew from sets. But unlike onions, there actually seems to be more choice of shallot sets than seeds. Plus, shallot seeds seem to me to be more expensive than onion seeds, making sets look more attractive.

To grow shallots from seed, I sow four seeds per two-inch module and plant them out together, 15 cm apart. This was recommended by a forum member (not sure who now, so apologies for not giving you credit) a couple of years back. Worked very well for me.

webby139

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19 »
Hey,

Sorry for the late reply but i've been away with work.
Thanks for everyone who responded.
Tatties in hessian sacks in garage and onion in the multi storage facility......... BIN!!!

Cheers.
Keith

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 14:19 »
I sow (in 1/4 sized seed trays) in heated propagator
I prick out to module cells. The module cells are small (1" square)
When I plant out all the roots are coiled up at the bottom of the cell like a spring. I gently straighten them out and arrange them vertically in the planting hole.  It doesn't take as long as it probably sounds like :)

Kristen, do you use capillary matting or anything like that underneath for watering and feeding purposes?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 14:50 »
do you use capillary matting or anything like that underneath for watering and feeding purposes?
Yes, but its not essential. I use that for the whole of the greenhouse staging, but only mostly to save time.  I'm in two minds about it - it delivers a one-size-fits-all amount of water, and for some things it is too much ... but ti does mean I can just chuck some water on and it distributes it around the whole of the bench.

My capillary matting is covered with [thin] micro-pore plastic sheet. Supposedly stops the roots growing into the matting (maybe it slows them down a bit), but it definitely prevents the algae/moss growing on any exposed bits, and when the pots are removed it makes it easy to remove all spilt compost / leaves etc. before the next batch is put in place.

Haven for slugs and snails in the damp conditions on the capillary matter, and under the pots :( but that can be combated with pellets and, to a certain extent, by standing the staging feet in copper rings / oil / whatever. Some still get introduced, unspotted, on the base of pots that are brought into the greenhouse :(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 14:51 by Kristen »

xx
How are your Onions and Spuds

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 14:37
by JohnB47
xx
Spuds and Onions

Started by AllotmentSi on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 20:23
by DD.
xx
onions after spuds ?

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 21:05
by needssomehelp
xx
Spuds And Onions Arrived, Can I Ask......

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 08:24
by MickyB

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.