Greenhouse Tomatoes

• 10 Replies

sueanthony

Greenhouse Tomatoes
« on: June 26, 2010, 17:44 »
Hi, hope someone might be able to help me.  I put my tomatoes firstly in grow bags in the greenhouse, but they really were not happy and seemed to be dry all the time and the compost really hard.  Think I maybe should have fluffed up the compost a bit better before putting them in...anyway I decided the best thing might be to take them out of the grow bags and just grow them with the same compost in the ground of the greenhouse.  They do seem to have picked up much more but they keep getting scorched by the sunshine and I am going regularly to spray the leaves at night to try and help them out.  I am starting to get some flowers now but they really have been hard work this year.  I have made some comfrey/nettle fertiliser too which I plan to use on them and other bits at the allotment. Has anyone any tips which I might be able to take on board please?

Trikidiki

Re: Greenhouse Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 18:35 »
My allotment greenhouse tomatoes are in growbags, the bags do need beating up a bit to break up the compost, great for venting some anger.
Mine are doing better in the bags this year than those at home in the greenhouse beds.

If the leaves are scorching then you'll need to shade the greenhouse, sounds daft are spending all that money on a glass house oly to cover it up.

You can use a proper greenhouse shading paint or some people just use very dilute white emulsion, alternatively tie some debris netting over the roof, this is easier to remove when the intense summer sun diminishes.

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 18:40 »
Sounds like they might welcome a bit of shade.  Stuff you paint on the glass (coolglass or similar) or shade netting etc.  I have successfully used an old garden table brolly with the 'stick' wedged into my greenhouse stool at the door of the g'house and the canopy wedged over the end of the ridge as a short term stop gap until I could get the shade netting properly rigged.  A pal drapes an old net curtain (how quaint) over a couple of bean canes wired lengthwise in hsi glass house and that works too.

Nil desperandum anyway - there is a lot of season yet to go and they are tough little beggars!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 18:48 »
old net curtain for me on stretchy curtain wire, so I can pull it across if I need to...works for me  :)

sueanthony

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 20:51 »
Thanks everyone for your advice, I will get something sorted tomorrow to give them a little bit of shade. :)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 22:40 »
I've got debris netting and fleece pegged to the outside of mine. Heath Robinson would be so proud  :D

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 22:51 »
Stop spraying the leaves! They don't like it at all.

Feed them once a week by watering the top of the compost, and keep them hydrated by watering well each morning. But keep the water away from the leaves if at all possible.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 23:47 »
The only time you spray the leaves is if they need a feed of Epsom Salts (for magnesium deficiency, the leaves look mottled as a sign) otherwise keep the foliage dry as previosuly advised.  By all means damp down the ground or slabs in the greenhouse.  If at all possible only do this and any watering in the mornings.  Watering in the evening encourages condensation and damp mildewy conditions ( ripe for any blight spores wafting your way)
Death OR Cake ???

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 06:38 »
i use the cheap fleece from the 99p shop for shading just peg it on the inside where you can, i dont get blown away by any wind if its on the inside.
LISA X X X

sueanthony

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 09:42 »
The only time you spray the leaves is if they need a feed of Epsom Salts (for magnesium deficiency, the leaves look mottled as a sign) otherwise keep the foliage dry as previosuly advised.  By all means damp down the ground or slabs in the greenhouse.  If at all possible only do this and any watering in the mornings.  Watering in the evening encourages condensation and damp mildewy conditions ( ripe for any blight spores wafting your way)
Thank you so much for that, I will make sure I don't spray the leaves anymore and I am off to find some net curtain or fleece to shade them as it talks of being rather a hot one today!

sueanthony

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51 »
i use the cheap fleece from the 99p shop for shading just peg it on the inside where you can, i dont get blown away by any wind if its on the inside.
Thanks very much - just found a net curtain so gonna get it sorted right away. SueX :D

xx
Greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 14:31
by Spana
xx
tomatoes in greenhouse

Started by Wiltshire Worms on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 17:43
by Headgardener22
xx
greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 11:09
by Kristen
xx
tomatoes in the greenhouse

Started by gardening robbo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 15:28
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 40 queries.