Freerange hens and flavour of eggs

• 7 Replies

Oliveview

« on: July 19, 2008, 18:29 »
I stayed at my Aunties house in Surrey last week and Aunty gets free range eggs (1.70 per half dozen) and we had them for breakfast on the Sunday poached......  I can honestly say I have never tasted such bland eggs, even the yolks had no colour, just a creamy colour :(   The difference in the flavour from Auntys free range eggs to our free ranging hens eggs was unbelievable.  
Had another glut of eggs this week, so gave away 18 eggs on Thursday  then today sold 2 dozen :)  :D
Don´t know how the hens cope with the high temperatures we have at the present- well into the mid to high 40´s.  They dig deep holes in the shade and paddle in the muddy puddles we make for them.   The orchard they free range about is booby trapped with holes everywhere :lol:  
I bottled loads of tomatoes today so the hens got all the chopped off stalk ends and the softish toms- great fun to see them argue over the toms, even though there is more than enough for them they have to argue over one bit with another hen :lol:
Pamela
ps I got Fluenbet worming powder from the UK, the vets here looked at me as if I was from another planet when I asked about worming hens! They are only hens the vet said :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 18:41 »
The so called "freerange eggs" you can buy in the shops are not what back yard hen keepers would call freerange.  

Density of stocking is high (compared to ours), available grass and bugs is low (compared to ours), doubt they get much fresh veg as treats, so they really only get to eat pellets - just like barn and battery hens.  They see the sky and scratch about so must be happier though :D

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 18:56 »
We have 10 hens and the total plot of land here is 1000sqm  so the hens have just under half the garden so I would say 450sqm to roam about.  There is not a weed to be had now :D   No more fighting to keep the weeds down :D   Keeping hens was the best thing we have done.  I dread to think what will happen once they stop laying :(    
They are really happy hens, especially now  Colin is no more :(   Hubby was very against keeping hens, so I ignored him,  but now he is a convert too :D  Especially as there is no weeding to do in the orchard bit of the garden :D   If only you could train hens to eat just weeds they could freerange in the veg plot too :lol:
Pamela

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 21:25 »
My girls have about a quarter of an acre to themselves, though that will be cut down soon when the decking for our conservatory is done. They have giant rocks to play on, loads of shade, and a mummy that spoils them rotten.
Their eggs are something else, so orange, and creamy in texture when scrambled. No need to add butter.

No here's a question.
Someone we GAVE a dozen eggs to last week, came to our door this morning with the empty box, hinting he'd like some more. I didnt take the bait, and just took the egg box , thanking him for bringing it back. He didnt offer to buy them from me, even though I know that he is quite well off, and we are on a very limited monthly budget.
Was I mean, or would you all have done the same thing?
I know I shouldnt but I feel a bit guilty...Im too soft I know.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 21:35 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
The so called "freerange eggs" you can buy in the shops are not what back yard hen keepers would call freerange.  

Density of stocking is high (compared to ours), available grass and bugs is low (compared to ours), doubt they get much fresh veg as treats, so they really only get to eat pellets - just like barn and battery hens.  They see the sky and scratch about so must be happier though :D

Too true Aunty.  One of the old guys at our lotties has around 30 hens on a standard plot with barely a blade of grass or other greenery and he sells the eggs for about £1.50 per dozen but the poor things are just a commodity to him.  He necked one of them last week for eating an egg...  it hadn't ever done it before and was probably just cleaning the egg up which is it's instinct to do (I know that it can run into problems but I thought it was a bit harsh) and he doesn't treat them very well either  :(

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 22:05 »
We give extra eggs to the neighbour across from us, with the help and friendliness they have given us it has more than paid for the eggs, we only give them eggs if we have more than a few dozen in the fridge though.  I´d have said thanks for the egg box too and hinted that I was hoping to sell eggs.  My cousin in France had a similar problem, the Brits about her were grateful for the odd half a dozen eggs but never offered to buy any from them.  Our old neighbour where we used to live used to give me eggs now and again  so in return I used to buy the odd bag of food.
My cousins hens look like chicken ´vulchers ´with no feathers on their necks... she said it is a French breed.  She did have about 10 but the fox got a few a month or so ago :(
Pamela

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 22:11 »
I used to give next doors eggs when we had a glut, and once or twice they returned the box, but never said they enjoyed the eggs or thanks, and even though I have my sign outside, they never come round to buy any, preferring to buy the more expensive supermarket ones.

And at the moment, mine are stilll only £1.50 a dozen!  Must remember to change the sign!!!!!!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 22:17 »
Quote from: "NormandyMary"
No here's a question.
Someone we GAVE a dozen eggs to last week, came to our door this morning with the empty box, hinting he'd like some more. I didnt take the bait, and just took the egg box , thanking him for bringing it back. He didnt offer to buy them from me, even though I know that he is quite well off, and we are on a very limited monthly budget.
Was I mean, or would you all have done the same thing?
I know I shouldnt but I feel a bit guilty...Im too soft I know.

Don't feel guilty, you have done the nice thing and gave eggs away for free!  :D  besides, he's probably well off because he tries things on and begrudges paying for stuff! You look after your chucks, buy feed and get eggs - if he wants quality at a lower price he's come back to you and offer to pay, if not...wish him good luck buying supermarket eggs!  :lol:

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
rescuing ex freerange.

Started by cachehunny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 21:28
by joyfull
xx
4 hens only 3 eggs!!

Started by lynnsb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 19:14
by tesni
xx
3 Hens 2 Eggs

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 04:13
by drumcrow

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 39 queries.