Is my run big enough!

• 13 Replies

tracymitsu

Is my run big enough!
« on: January 30, 2008, 19:37 »
Hi, first let me say what a great and invaluble site :D I am new to keeping chickens (got them today  :D) 2 black rocks, 3 light sussex, 2 bluebelles and 2 white leghorns, all 15-18 weeks old and all reared together (the farmer informed all would be fine together ...so fingers x) The thing is I bought a new coop which houses 8 -10 chickens and which came with an attached run, which I thought would be safer for my chickens as I have 5 cats and a rather large german shepherd dog. The coop is a really good size, the chickens have plenty of room (I checked after they all ran in it 1 by 1 after I got them home). However, about an hour later hunger must of got the better of them  :D as they all ventured into the run for food. This is where I have my concerns, the run is 3ft by 5 ft which I thought would be plenty big enough, but my new little family members don't look like they have much room  :( . I was wondering, do I need to extend the run, or am I just being an over worrying 'new' chicken owner  :?

Any advice greatly appreciated (and needed  :D )

x x x  :D  x x x

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 19:52 »
Hi and welcome to the forum  :D

general consensus puts the room a single hen needs as 1m x 1m or 3'3" x3'3", so a 5 x 3 run IMHO is too small. Yes they will look a little overcrowded. Perhaps you could make them something bigger ?

the bigger the run the better off they will be, you may want to also consider covering some of the run from the rain.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Selkie

Is my run big enough!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 19:55 »
I'm getting up on my soap box (again) but if you can please please please make it bigger.

They'll be much happier in a larger run :D

Forgot to say -- welcome!!

poultrygeist

Is my run big enough!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 20:00 »
Hi Traceymitsu.

Welcome in. Fairly new here ourselves.

As a guide, we've got 6 Amberlinks. They're on the large side.

We have just extended our run so that there's a 7' x 5' concrete section with the coop on, an 8' x 12' grass bit partially covered with plastic roof and now a new 'wing' 8' x 5'.

Even with this, they still pace about a bit wanting to run free but we too have a dog and a cat.

Basically, the bigger the better.

tracymitsu

Is my run big enough!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 20:10 »
hi, thanks everyone for confirming what i thought. The coop has a front and back door so i'll add another run ASAP and hopefully that should give them enough room. I'll also cover both runs.

Thanks again
Tracy  :D  xx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 21:10 »
Hi tracymitsu and welcome.

I agree with the previous posts.  I would say 1 square metre of space each is the minimun the would need so your 5 x 3 ft run would only house 2 medium sized hens comfortably.  If they are too crowded you will get a lot of peching of eachother.

Jellyhead

Is my run big enough!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:53 »
I would just like to say that my cats, all 8 of em :shock: have no problems with the chooks and vicky vercky  :roll: at least one of my cats comes in with me and they don't really take any notice of him any more. 2 others sleep in the area quite a lot and no probs :D Dogs well thats another matter, 2 of mine are OK but I wouldn't trust the other 3 :x I am sure that having dogs around helps keep the foxes away tho 8)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:25 »
Hi and welcome to our merry little band of chook keepers!  I agree, give them as much space as you can.

and PG, The Amberlinks are only a medium breed, wait until you see some of the pure breeds!!!!! lol  And they'll pace about because they can see there's more grass to eat on the other side of the fence!!!!

You know the old saying, the grass is always greener......   :lol:

poultrygeist

Is my run big enough!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:38 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
The Amberlinks are only a medium breed, wait until you see some of the pure breeds!!!!! lol  

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: <gulp>

Are you sure they're not Emus ?!!!

snozzer

• Experienced Member
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:54 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
I am sure that having dogs around helps keep the foxes away tho 8)

And so do the cats, well if the are anything like my Tom cat they will.  I have witnessed him attack a fox that came into our garden and not just a half hearted chase he unleashed the "Cats of War" on Reynard returning to me triumphantly with fox fur in his mouth and between his claws  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: One of his finest moments, now if he would just spend more than 30minutes a day awake...  :?
As guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:59 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
The Amberlinks are only a medium breed, wait until you see some of the pure breeds!!!!! lol  

Positive!!!!   Now THIS is an emu!!![/IMG]

LOL, no, only joking!   THIS is an emu!!!!!!

[/IMG]   :lol:  :lol:

tracymitsu

Is my run big enough!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 09:29 »
Hi everyone, thank you for all the replies  :D. Just thought I would post a little up date on the run situation. I, well my husgand really  :wink: breezed the weather yesterday and built another run 6x4 onto the 5x3 run. I have to say my 9 girlies look so much happier, even more so because I've moved them of the concrete onto grass  :D (I've got the straw ready for the mud bath  :shock: ). Over the next few days we (well hubby) is going to build and attach another 6x4 run, so hopefully that should be big enough for my girlies (I'll post a pic when its done).

I agree with you Jellyhead, having a dog has got to help keeping the foxes at bay. All my cats, except one are fine with my girls. If she could get to them....I don't want to go there :shock:

Thanks again for your advice  :D

Tracy xxx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 12:34 »
Thanks for the update Tracy.  Your girls will be very happy when they have their second run extension.  Pictures are a MUST  :lol:  :wink:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Is my run big enough!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 22:23 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

Positive!!!!   Now THIS is an emu!!![/IMG]

LOL, no, only joking!   THIS is an emu!!!!!!

[/IMG]   :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I cant stop laughing here why you ask well my araucana is called Emu and the reason being she is so like Emu, long legs, long neck and incredibly nosey.   :lol:  :lol:

Would love to see a photo of your run.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 29 queries.