Wood ashes on the veg garden

• 12 Replies

jambop

Wood ashes on the veg garden
« on: January 20, 2017, 19:37 »
Hi I burn a couple of wood burning stoves down here and therefore have a lot of wood ash. The ash comes mainly from seasoned Oak wood and I get lots of it. Now I have heard that wood ashes are good in the garden but the real question is how much should be used and what crops would like it most? I would think that  crops that require a flower to be present to get a fruit would be a good bet ? So things like tomatoes and  courgettes might benefit but what else and what is regarded as a normal rate of dosage ?

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Re: Wood ashes on the veg garden
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 23:00 »
Hi Jambop

General covering of spade-ful per square metre. Avoid adding if you have alkaline soil ie limestone, such as i have here. Not sure what soil is like in your area.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 23:37 »
Hi Aussie happy new-year :) don't know what it is like over by but it has been blooming freezing here since well before Christmas ! The soil here is quite good if a little silty which I am trying to improve with compost and farm manure but the soil is quite good and fertile. The problem for me is the fact that it is so fine. It is fantastic to work when the moisture level is ideal but when a bit wet it is a bit like melted chocolate and sticks to your boots something awful you return to the house three inches taller than you left  :lol:

Aled

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:39 »
I add in quite a lot of wood ash over the winter. But my soil is acidic.
Cheers
Aled

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:15 »
Wood ashes are a good source of calcium and potassium, and other trace elements too.

Because it's quite alkaline it shouldn't be used where you are growing potatoes as it increases the chances of getting scab, and is obviously a no-no for ericaceous plants such as blueberries.

Most veg do well at a pH of around 7 or slightly less (neutral to very slightly acidic) so you really need to test your soil to find out whether you can add a lot, a little, or possibly none at all. Chemical test kits are a bit faffy but more reliable than most probe pH meters.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:33 »

Most veg do well at a pH of around 7 or slightly less (neutral to very slightly acidic) so you really need to test your soil to find out whether you can add a lot, a little, or possibly none at all. Chemical test kits are a bit faffy but more reliable than most probe pH meters.

I've got a probe meter that's definitely not reliable, it can be made to jump all over the place by wiggling it in the soil. Perhaps interesting too, for anyone who's not used a test kit before that pH works on a logarithmic scale of ten. That is to say 6 is ten times more acidic than 7
5 is ten times more acidic than 6 which makes it 100 times more acidic than 7 (10 x 10)
and follows that 4 is 1000 times more acidic than 7 (10 x 10 x 10)

Aled

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:10 »
You've just reminded me, I have a soil ph testing kit which I need to use for the reasons outlined.
Cheers
Aled

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 16:03 »
onions etc seem to like it, strawberries don't. Those are the only things I've used it on...
Rachael

unclebulgaria

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:54 »
Hi, I have two wood burning stoves and use wood ash as a general fertiliser all over the garden in moderate quantities, simply scattered on top over the winter and then lightly forked in. Its a good source of potash and trace nutrients as JayG mentioned so particularly good for tomatoes. I also use it around soft fruit bushes in the spring as a mulch, a spade full at a time, especially good for gooseberry's I believe.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 19:17 »
One thing to bear in mind about wood ash is that it is very soluble, so don't scatter it on bare ground as it will be quickly washed through and have no impact.  If you have room to store it so that it remains dry, save it until the plants would benefit.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 19:55 »
I know someone who thought it was good for strawberries. There was still a lot of straw around them and the wood ash was still hot. Anyone else like grilled strawberries?

Aled

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 09:40 »
I've added some to my compost bin, so it will be used up there.
Cheers
Aled

Ivor Backache

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 13:37 »
I have always believed that wood ash needs to 'weather' in a bag for six months and then use it when required.
Mine is used when onions start to bulk up. I have just enough for a thin covering, so I rarely overdo it.

xx
wood ashes

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 13:56
by Gleavo
xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
question
BBQ ASHES

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 23:31
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Ashes to Ashes

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 11:46
by Dominic

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 40 queries.