Beetroot

• 11 Replies

Elaine G

Beetroot
« on: April 15, 2011, 23:20 »
I watched Monty Don sow his beetroot seeds 3 to a module, so I did the same.
They seem to have all germinated, but each seed has more than one shoot - so some modules have at least 6 seedlings (OK it could be worse!)
So, shall I try to separate them, or plant them out as they are, which is what Monty said?

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

prakash_mib

Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 23:48 »
you could try that. but it is a very wierd idea of sowing beetroot seeds 3 per module as they are cluster seeds (multigerm). they do produce 2-3 plants per seed anyways and you are supposed to thinout during the growth or leave it to space out on its own.
My advice would be to thin the weaklings and plant the lone survivor to get better results and dont listen to monty don  :). I might be wrong but I would rather listen to alan (titchmarsh) than to monty!!  :). he is in my comfort zone.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 00:41 »
I vote for thinning down to 3 and planting like that.

But why sow in pots anyway. I sow in the soil about an inch apart and then thin out any doubles or trebles. There are always a few gaps but this will give you a variation in size and the wider spaced beet will get to eating size first. Remember you are growing for the kitchen and not a supermarket contract.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:37 »
Last year I sowed direct and not a single seedling  :(  Up till then I'd always sowed in modules (usually one seed per cell) and been successful, so it's the way I'd go in future.  I don't sow that many so it's no big deal having to plant them out but I suppose if you want loads it would be a different matter  :)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:00 »
I vote for thinning down to 3 and planting like that.

But why sow in pots anyway. I sow in the soil about an inch apart and then thin out any doubles or trebles. There are always a few gaps but this will give you a variation in size and the wider spaced beet will get to eating size first. Remember you are growing for the kitchen and not a supermarket contract.

Spot on Salmo! Absolutely right!

Robster

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:25 »
I modified Monty's method.  I sowed single seeds into cells.  Germinated them in a cold frame.  When I could handle them I divided them and planted out.  Now have three nice small rows growing away.  Previously, I had limited success with direct sowing and it was slower.  So this method for me.  I'll sow some more today I think

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 07:38 »
Mine have done alright planted straight out but you've answered a question for me. I couldn't understand why I had two & three plants with each one, I thought I'd had a mad moment and planted several seeds together  :blink:

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:39 »
Monty did say that it's okay to plant as clusters. As the beetroots grow they push each other aside and you can harvest those on the outside of a cluster.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:41 »
I do the same as Salmo.  Direct sowing wherever I can to fill gaps between plants and at end of rows
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:26 »
But why sow in pots anyway.

In my case it is because my soil is clay and getting a prepared seed bed, particularly early in the year, would be out of the question. In containers I can sow the seed at midnight if I want ... i.e. after work / even if dark ... and then the actual plant-out time has some latitude. Certainly gives me time to get the bed ready (I guess planting out is a month after sowing? so the difference between "sticky mud" and "nice workable soil" for me), and if I plant out a week late, or early, the plants will be fine, even if the only time I have available is when its chucking it down planting out still goes ahead OK, whereas trying to make a seed drill in the pouring rain would be a nightmare!!.

I'm much more likely to "sow on time" using containers / indoors than I am trying to coordinate Work + Weather + Soil
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:29 by Kristen »

Elaine G

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 18:54 »
Thanks for your replies everyone. Looks like I will have to thin down a little at least - guess I knew that from looking at the seed tray!
I'm glad I have not misunderstood completely, thanks jazzbyrd for confirming what Monty said.

As for planting in modules, well I am out at work from 8am to 6.30 ish 5 days a week, and my allotment is 10 mins + drive away.
But my greenhouse is in my garden, so everything gets watered and loved most mornings and evenings. It is so much easier to start in pots and transplant when they are big enough. Also my soil is clay too, things do so much better in multi purp. And Kristen I am hoping to get electricity in the greenhouse so I can sow at midnight too  :lol:

Cheers

Elaine

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 22:40 »
And Kristen I am hoping to get electricity in the greenhouse so I can sow at midnight too 

I wish too! Mine start out in a windowsill propagator :)

xx
Beetroot

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 18:21
by wendycas
xx
beetroot

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 13:06
by Jeanieblue
xx
Beetroot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 11:45
by mdjlucan
xx
Beetroot

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 20:01
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 35 queries.