Feeders and Drinkers

• 10 Replies

Blondie

Feeders and Drinkers
« on: July 26, 2007, 19:03 »
Hello,

Having a few problems with my feeder and drinker. Had 2 chickens for just over a month now, settled on really well but they keep tipping up their feeder and drinker and getting all their run floor covering (aubiose) in it. Tried sitting it on bricks but still they tip it over, tried putting it on wide pieces of wood but it still happens. Getting annoyed/worried as when im at work all day and they do this they go without water and are thirsty when im home.

Is there any other sort of feeders and drinkers i could get so the feed and water are protected but they can still get at it? I have the normal bell type ones at the mo that you fill up and then click on the bottom bit.
Any suggestions welcome.

xx

diamond_lil

Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 17:04 »
Hi

We have a wonderful drinker which we use mainly with ducklings but would solve your problem. It suspends from the ceiling and is fed permanently by a hose so they have water on demand. When they drink the weight of the drinker reduces and so allows more water to descend. Very clever. Now you are going to say where did we get it? The answer is at the Ashover Show in Derbyshire in 2005. I will look on the net for something similar and if I find it will pass it on to you.

Diamond_Lil

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 20:50 »
I have some plastic (very common) white and green feeders and drinkers.  These both have metal handle things at the top which I use to suspend them.  keeps a lot of muck and debris out.

you could always try using a galvanised type - these are wuite robust and stable to stop birds tipping them.  last a lifetime too!

purplebat

Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 22:36 »
have you tried putting the bricks around the drinker rather than under it; it might make it harder to tip over
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:59 »
I had the same problem and the shavings kept clogging up the water so I bought the suspended hanging ones, much better and stay full longer as they're not getting knocked.

I got mine off Ebay, they came from a woman in Portugal and came faster and cheaper than any of the UK items on sale!! They also sell stuff for Bee Keeping and lots of other useful items and at a very competative price (no I am not related just very pleased with them as sellers)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BIRDS-AND-BEES_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 18:59 »
Quote from: "slowef"
I had the same problem and the shavings kept clogging up the water so I bought the suspended hanging ones, much better and stay full longer as they're not getting knocked.

I got mine off Ebay, they came from a woman in Portugal and came faster and cheaper than any of the UK items on sale!! They also sell stuff for Bee Keeping and lots of other useful items and at a very competative price (no I am not related just very pleased with them as sellers)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BIRDS-AND-BEES_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Got mine from there as well... not hanging ones, but brilliant service and cheap as chips.

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 04:38 »
try putting the bricks on top. jeez how big are your chickens. iff you  fill the water up all the way, itll be preety hard to tip over.
 the hanging feeders/watererss are your answers if that doesnt work
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

Blondie

Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 20:09 »
I'm beginning to think my hens have super powers as the feeder and drinker seem to be moving around the run every day now and getting full of shavings and muck. I try wedging them in the corners but they end up in the middle of the run or on their side. Will look at the ebay shop for suspending ones but i have a feeling my hens will just have fun watching them spinning around and will prob even try and flutter up and perch on one. I'm thinking about a trough feeder attached to the run? Anyone use them??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 20:13 »
How do they move them Have you seen them doing it  :?:

muntjac

Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 20:31 »
put  loads small pebbles in them they stilk get to drink and the water lasts longer ,loike what i does  :wink:
still alive /............

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 21:48 »
I use trough feeders and they are great but I find if its wet any food in them is spoiled by rain so a cover or flap over the top would be great.  I am going to try to rig one up this weekend.

xx
Feeders and drinkers

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 08:40
by Abacus
xx
drinkers and feeders

Started by snow white on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 12:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
feeders and drinkers

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:58
by andreadon
xx
feeders and drinkers

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 15:15
by Porffor

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.