Bored Chickens

• 4 Replies

Tykelad

Bored Chickens
« on: April 18, 2010, 15:06 »
Does anyone know how i can stop the chickens getting bored ? I bought 12 Warrens from the local market (for a bargain £15 i may add) and have noticed that 1 or 2 are losing their tail feathers. After keeping an eye on them i discovered that a couple are feather pecking and so i am thinking of ways to keep them entertained. I have hung up some lettuce in carrot sacks etc in their run but am wanting some ideas to prevent boredom.

Thanx in advance.

Tyke

carolbriar

Re: Bored Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 17:01 »
Hi Tykelad,  How big is your run?  Are they in the run all the time or do they free range?  The recommended space on this forum is 2sq mtrs per bird - if the area is too small it could be causing the feather pecking.  Feather pecking can also be caused by a deficiency in some vitamins or minerals (can't remember what the experienced members said).  We have put up a branch for them to roost on, also a small covered area that their feeders are under - they love getting on top of the wooden cover and they preen themselves and sometimes just watch the world go by.  I have no grass in the run so sometimes I dig up a turf from the garden and put that in the run - they love having the fresh grass and it gives them something else to do.  I have also put in a pile of compost from the garden and they scratch around in that.  I did try putting veg in the run but they are really not interested unless it is roast potato which they absolutely love.  They get it about once a fortnight no more as it really isn't good for them with the fat but I feel that aslong as they dont get it very often they should be fine.  Hope that helps in some way.  Someone else will be along soon with more into I'm sure.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 20:20 »
i would aslo like to know the size of the run , u can add tree stumps an logs for them to jump around and also to stratch under , make different levels within the run , hang up cabbages an other veg marrows are brillant boredom breakers .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 20:52 »
I find throwing in all the weeds roots in the run from the allotment is a great bordem breaker!  They spend ages scrathing through it all and eating like mad :lol: :lol: :lol:

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 20:53 »
I frorgot to say a mirror is quite amusing as well!!   Hang a cabbage up too!!!

xx
bored chickens

Started by ali31fos on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 20:54
by ali31fos
xx
Help with bored chickens?

Started by Arlen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 21:33
by karlooben
cheesy
Pinecone as a toy for bored chickens

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:41
by bantam novice
xx
How to keep them from being bored?

Started by dancing trousers on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 19:33
by dancing trousers

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 35 queries.