Help with bored chickens?

• 10 Replies

Arlen

« on: July 05, 2008, 23:14 »
Hi there.
I was looking around for solutions to chicken boredom and found this forum. Everyone seems so helpful, so I thought I'd give it a go!

My wife and I recently got some young hens. They're happy and settled and get out of the run every day to run around the garden and peck at bugs and grass and the compost heap (which is their favourite.)
However, while there is plenty of space in the run itself, it's a little bare and they get bored.
My wife has been stringing up lettuce and cabbage hearts so that they have to jump up and get them, but I was hoping some of you may have a few more ideas of how we can occupy their time in the run.

Many thanks,
Arlen.
Unicumque homo est, ibi beneficio locus est - Seneca.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 00:12 »
Hi Arlen welcome to the forum!  You will soon get loads of chicken toy ideas from people who keep their chickens as pets, but really the only thing I do is to hang old CD's up in their house and they love to peck at them, especially if the sun catches them as they turn.

Helps keep their minds occupied, and I'd ratehr they peck at CD's than their mates!

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:00 »
You may already have done this but a dust bath is an appreciated addition to any run.  When mine are confined to their run (and when they aren't) they like nothing more than a good roll around in some old compost.  I use an old washing up bowl although I now thing something with holes in the bottom might have been a better idea as it has filled up with water. :roll:

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:27 »
Hi Arlen.

have you got anything to climb on ?

eg. logs, branches, pots, etc.

Helps if your run is covered so they can't jump out.

Rob  :)

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:27 »
Mine enjoy the library I have installed and the odd dip in the jacuzzi!

Actually they just enjoy chasing my cats and any starlings out of the garden.  Although my children have a climbing frame / swing / slide setup and the chickens seem determined to poo on every bit of it. Mine are now it the garden all day even when I am not here - they tend to stay close to my house (the opposite end of the garden to their house!) and peck at the conservatory window in the hope of some treat magically appearing.

purplebat

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 13:03 »
mine have just had a gazebo put up in their run (very posh chickens!) I tie things to the supports of it and they also have a football that they love pushing around  :oops:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Porffor

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 13:14 »
lol at the football.. a small kids ball could work. :)

We have some logs in their run, they love getting the bugs, and out of some rotting wood too.. ;) Dust bath and sand in the base of the covered area under their house.. they are often seen rolling around in it! lol

I'll try the CD's trick i think though. :)

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 21:24 »
Mine seem to like being involved in gardening activities. They love helping move stuff around. Well I move it, they check what's uncovered. Thursdays we always have a quiz night. I generally win, but then I do set the questions. However on at least two occasions the chicken team won - I think they cheated.

I do think my chooks are great, but in all honesty it doesnt take a lot to entertain three brain cells.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Arlen

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 22:47 »
Thanks for all the the great help, everyone.
I've sent all the stuff to my wife and drawn up a few plans, too.
She's been letting them out unsupervised and they've eaten ALL the grass seeds so that it won't reseed itself next year, all of her kale and chard and all of the leaves off of her bell peppers.
So from now on all of her plants are getting covered with wire mesh cages when they are out and I am going to build a raised bed with grass and flowers and a dirt bath in their run for them.

On top of that they'll be getting some balls to play with and some log piles and the like.

Now I just have to get there. Roll on September!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 22:59 »
mine like to 'help' when I'm digging and also, I put push fresh lettuce through the chain-link fencing (it holds it in place) and this keeps them amused for ages as they peck at it...

the chooks in the next lotty keep them amused too!  they go and chat when my back is turned then look at me as if to say "who me?  I wasn't talking to those chickens!"  :roll:

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 21:33 »
make then a  swing , am going to make a couple for mine when i finally get them . i have a a small apple tree thats only about 4 foot high so they can play on that an also the compost heap will keep them busy for quite a few months , but i am loving the ideas of giving them balls etc to play with.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Bored Chickens

Started by Tykelad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 20:53
by min200
xx
bored chickens

Started by ali31fos on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 20:54
by ali31fos
cheesy
Pinecone as a toy for bored chickens

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:41
by bantam novice
xx
How to keep them from being bored?

Started by dancing trousers on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 19:33
by dancing trousers

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 35 queries.