Peach tree death?

• 12 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Peach tree death?
« on: June 18, 2020, 13:46 »
My neighbour has asked me to check out if anyone can give a diagnosis on her 17 year old peach tree, photo's attached. I have read that they are short lived, so maybe this one has come to that time.
IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Peach tree death?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 14:35 »
I think it may be the dreaded Peach Leaf Curl, not sure if there are any approved sprays nowadays  :unsure:

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 15:04 »
Just looked it up mumofstig, and it certainly looks like you have identified the problem, so thanks for that. I also see from the internet that getting shot of it might prove difficult here in Russia. It seems to be treatable with sulphur or copper based fungicides, which sound extremely toxic to me. If it is possible to find any of this, I will post how it went at a later date.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 20:34 »
Just looked it up mumofstig, and it certainly looks like you have identified the problem, so thanks for that. I also see from the internet that getting shot of it might prove difficult here in Russia. It seems to be treatable with sulphur or copper based fungicides, which sound extremely toxic to me. If it is possible to find any of this, I will post how it went at a later date.
They are not extremely toxic at all and anybody telling you that is spreading fake news. The quantities of copper you would be using are not at all toxic. That tree could be treated will only a few grams of copper sulphate. Grape growers in France and yes the organic and BIO growers can use BM .. had you said cyanide or Novichok you would be nearer the mark. The ld50 for copper sulphate is about 480mg/kg
The only thing I would say to people who make remarks about toxicity of certain chemicals used  to control disease and pests is ... DO YOU DRIVE A CAR ... if you do  DON'T TALK ABOUT TOXIC CHEMICALS !
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 20:43 by jambop »

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 08:13 »
Nice to hear that jambop, and I see that you are in France. The treatment that can be got here is called Bordeaux mix, my neighbour is out looking for it right now.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 08:51 »
Nice to hear that jambop, and I see that you are in France. The treatment that can be got here is called Bordeaux mix, my neighbour is out looking for it right now.
That is what you want you do not need to use a lot. The problem with leaf curl is the spores come with the rains. It is actually better to treat the tree in the winter time when it is dormant. You spray with the product in late winter just before the buds are about to break this kills the spores and the leaves are then un affected you can then treat the tree again if it shows up.
For the record I don't have a problem with people not wanting to use control products because the are banned in their country or even if it is just their particular belief not to use such products. What does get me riled is when people say that these products are death dealing poisons then jump in their car and drive off to the airport to catch their holiday flight thinking they are the ones who are looking after the planet... double standards does not cover it!

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 08:59 »
I started my life as a traveler off by hitch hiking. Off course I have to fly and drive the same as most, but I'm with the growing number who are losing faith in the infernal combustion engine, and the jet, so I understand where you're coming from. And I'd bet my last dollar that most folk on this forum are like minded, be surprised if they weren't anyway.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 11:49 »
Can I just repeat this again..
The site owner and the moderators are in a difficult situation regarding chemicals in the garden or allotment; many old reliable products have been banned or are restricted to commercial use only, here in the UK and the rest of the EU.
As such, this site cannot be seen to recommend them and we do have to remind members that their use is illegal - what you choose to do in your growing spaces is, of course, entirely up to you.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 12:16 »
mumofstig, would you know if Bordeaux mix is a banned treatment in Europe, this is becoming quite an interesting topic for me.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 12:50 »
I believe it's been under review since 2018  ::)
https://dobianchi.com/2018/07/23/bordeaux-mixture-vineyards/

Meanwhile it's still approved for use in several countries shown in the link below, that's why jambop can still buy it easily, but we can't in the UK.
https://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/iupac/Reports/85.htm#none

jambop

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 12:51 »
mumofstig, would you know if Bordeaux mix is a banned treatment in Europe, this is becoming quite an interesting topic for me.
It is a sensitive subject on this site... I can understand that as the product is not allowed in the UK. To answer your question I can buy the product quite legally at my local point vert which is a garden centre chain. It  is widely used throughout France and is endorsed by the organic growers society here lets leave it at that .

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 13:38 »
Gotcha jambop, we live and learn, don't we.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 23:07 »
Excellent. We all know where we stand now, so it needs no more discussion here.

I have therefore locked the topic.

xx
Peach tree

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 14:24
by jambop
xx
peach tree

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 11:23
by oddpaws
xx
Peach tree help

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 17:29
by Trillium
xx
Peach tree

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 07:56
by gobs

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 54 queries.