whats for Christmas dinner

• 18 Replies

shaun

« on: November 27, 2006, 20:26 »
i dont know what to go for this year turkey,chicken, goose ,half a lamb a nice piece of ham,a nice chunk of silverside or a leg of spam decisions decisions decisions
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 21:53 »
We're having an Italian Christmas dinner as its just the 2 of us and traditional english is too much.

Beef brisket, boiled and a broth made out of the stock.

The beef is later sliced and fried in olive oil. Wonderfully tender.

The starter is salami on small rounds of bread with garlic and rosemary oil on top.

Broth is next, then the slices of beef with the usual veg.

Panetona for desert. Whole thing takes about 4 hours during which we will have a bit of music in the background interspersed with the odd bit of audio comedy, Bill Bailey works well. :)
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 22:26 »
gonna do goose  capon, turkey  pheasant partridge and pigeon meat  stuffing   .gotta feed a tribe this year :wink:
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 23:47 »
We shall nip out on Christmas eve and see what bargains are to be had. Whatever we find will be the basis of dinner.  I'll be making my stilton mouse (it's in recipes) for the evening.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 00:08 »
will post my pate recipes for ya'll nearer to the day along with my other Christmas goodies  :wink:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 00:39 »
A group of us down the lottie are so fed up with Christmas already that we are planning to have a big barbeQ on the allotment.

If it rains though I suppose it will be turkey with marrow and jerusalems.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 08:09 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
A group of us down the lottie are so fed up with Christmas already that we are planning to have a big barbeQ on the allotment.

If it rains though I suppose it will be turkey with marrow and jerusalems.

If I didn't have the munchkins all coming I would love to do something like that, gets a bit boring the Christmas routine for me, my lot eat the best part of a small farmyard. I enjoy it but I'm ready for a change.....

Annie

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 09:02 »
In theory we`re having goose but the woman rearing them is getting a bit attatched!The nice bit is that I`m working in the morning so when I get home at 2.30pm it should all be ready.OH has some strange idea about not opening any presies until I`m home...my 3yr old will have other ideas probably around 6am onwards...

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 09:37 »
My kids are spending this Christmas at their dads house, so it will be very different for me this year.

Usually I cook a large traditional lunch for at least 10 people.  But this year my OH and I am going to the coast for a few days so (always wanted to walk on a beach on Christmas day).   So I guess my Christmas dinner will something like lobster.
Starting from scratch............

wellingtons

I absolutely love Christmas ...
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 14:46 »
... and one of the things I love most is cooking the lunch!

Goose for us served with roast spuds, parsnips, carrots and brussel sprouts (all from da llot), homemade stuffing, carmelised onions, bread sauce, small sweet baked apples, bacon wrapped mini sausages (from the farmer's market) and citrus spiked gravy.  Oh and the spuds and parsnips are roasted in goose fat and the caramelised onions are started off in goose fat too.

Woohoo!!  Pass the pinny and the basting spoon.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 14:50 »
Well as there's just the 2 of us, me and scrooge, it'll be potatoes, carrots and brussels out of the garden and greenhouse, but what to go with it yet, don't know till nearer the time.  depends on what's going and what OH fancies!!!!  And of course he HAS to have his Christmas pud and loads of cream!!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 15:47 »
We'll be having a beef rib roast with yorkshire pud, veggies from the plot (spuds, parsnips, sprouts and french beans from the freezer) with Christmas pud (from Lidl  8) ).  Possibly Jerusalem fartichoke soup for starters.  Depends on who's coming - might be 2 1/2 of us, might be 5 1/2 - not sure yet.

In my previous life/marriage, we'd get together with the neighbours from either side, and each houshold would contribute a course.  Charlie from one side would always barbeque the turkey, his missus would make the pud, them on the other side would do starters and coffee, and we'd do the veg.  We'd have a kitty for crackers, booze etc, and a £5 Secret Santa.  We did it at our house, because I had a table that sits eight, and as I'd done most of the table preparation, I got let off the washing up.  Was great fun!

Annie

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 19:33 »
We`re stumped for a starter this year ,OH`s ancient p`s are coming so it can`t be too filling but necessary since the(wierd)tradition means Christmas pud is eaten the day after,personally I like to get it over with and leave boxing day free for intoxicating trifle.

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 11:27 »
Not sure i want to go to the coast for Christmas dinner now!!   I want to go to wellingtons for Christmas lunch...it sounds wonderful  

:D

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 14:10 »
id be carfull accepting invite from welly .she may roast the goose fat n microwave the goose  :roll:

xx
whats for dinner today

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

76 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 07:22
by pepper
xx
Our Christmas dinner

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 16:27
by Poolfield2
xx
ideas for vegetarian Christmas dinner

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post December 09, 2012, 20:45
by Madame Cholet
xx
cooking frozen pheasant for Christmas dinner

Started by hermon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 22:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 29 queries.