Outside dessert grapes

• 9 Replies

Dopey113

Outside dessert grapes
« on: May 29, 2012, 14:19 »
I have an ugly fence at the back of my plot

thinking I could make it more attractive, and productive by putting some Outside dessert grapes there and climb all over it, any recommendations, I have enough room there for at least 5 or 6 different varieties
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Trillium

Re: Outside dessert grapes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 14:23 »
Not sure if it's available in the UK but I'd recommend at least one Concord grape for juice and jellies. Very productive once it's got good roots in.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 14:26 »
I don't know how well outside dessert grapes do in the UK.  Is the fence south facing? 

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 14:30 »
Yes it get the sun all day

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 14:32 »
If you can get hold of Concord, it will cope very easily with anything UK weather throws at it, and more.

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 14:36 »
Theres one on ebay, and some seed as well

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 15:00 »
I grew a black Hamburg Grape vine in my garden for ten years, (grew it in a 200ltr barrel in my old house for three years then  transplanted it in to the garden when we moved ) cut it down three years ago as it was taking over, and am still trying to stop it re-sprouting from the stump I left (can’t remove it or poison it as I have agapanthus growing all around it.
It is fast growing and quite prolific with fruit. I cut off all the flowers it produced for the first 5 years, and then left only one bunch per rod for three more. After that, even after the birds and the snails and slug had their share, I’d get 30lbs plus of grapes some years you could eat them other years fit only for wine. It’s a lot of work for not a lot of reward for the first years. If you have space I’d say go for it.  Only problem I had with it other than taking over the garden,  was from the birds eating the grapes and then leaving their dropping which will stain everything purple.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

Dopey113

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 15:47 »
Hmm Purple Rain? (Prince)  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 17:56 »
I've got a black grape called Rembrandt growing on my south facing kitchen wall.  It made loads of grapes last year, but I ran out of time and didn't thin them, so they were small.  Tasted OK - not massively sweet, but it was a poor summer.

The chickens picked all the ones they could reach  ::)  Got enough for 2 demijohns of wine and just started sampling it in the last couple of weeks.  Not bad if I say so myself.  The best homemade wine I have managed so far.  It could pass as a spanish red - soft and fruity with quite a punch  :)

I think with more sun and a bit of thinning I could get some decent dessert grapes.  It a seeded variety though.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 22:21 »
I planted a Grape 'Madeleine Sylvaner' in my garden over a pergola about 6 years ago. 

I always wanted to have a seating area under my pergola with grapes hanging down - reminds me of my youth holidaying in Crete!

After two years it fruited prolifically and has been ever since.  Very sweet tasting grapes.  My only complaint is that the pips are huge but if that doesn't bother you, then I would definitely recommend.  It is reasonably cheap too (£7 from jparkers).
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Dessert gooseberries

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 11:44
by 8doubles
xx
Dessert gooseberry recommendations

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2022, 19:04
by Candide
xx
GRAPES?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 18:58
by sunshineband
xx
Grapes

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 09:04
by tetley

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 37 queries.