Devastation........

• 14 Replies

Prod

Devastation........
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:33 »
Something got into my duck pen last night and wiped them out. 3 call ducks, 8 ducklings and 2 runner ducks.  I found the runners dead at the bottom of the field  but no sign of any of the calls and very few feathers or blood  but a gaping hole where they/it had chewed through the fence.  I am hoping some of the calls escaped as they were almost fully grown and I had not clipped their wings. I searched the field next to mine this morning but found nothing and I am going across the other fields to see if they managed to get to the pond......... Oh well.... :( :( :(

Beetroot queen

Re: Devastation........
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:36 »
Oh what an awful thing to discover first thing in the day, heres hoping some of them will have escaped

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:51 »
We're so very sorry. Its always awful when something like this happens. We do hope you find some of them. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Debz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:37 »
So sorry - what an awful start to your day.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:40 »
So sorry for you ! I had the same thing happen a while back to a pen of buff orps  :mad:
I cook therefore I grow

Prod

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56 »
I think it must be mink or stoat  as a fox could have jumped the fence. I am hoping some survived by flying off but I feel so guilty and gutted. I had 2 people wanting the ducklings so I have had to tell them too.   I think I will leave it a while before I decide whether to restock and just continue with the chickens for now.  thanks for the support & comments.... :mellow: :mellow:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17 »
I'm so sorry Prod, it is so difficult to get the right balance between space/freedom for your birds and security.  If the hole was large it could have been badger, they have been know to climb fences as well to get at poultry.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 11:41 »
I'm so sorry Prod, it is so difficult to get the right balance between space/freedom for your birds and security.  If the hole was large it could have been badger, they have been know to climb fences as well to get at poultry.   :(

I think it was a stoat  as I saw one earlier in the year around about 5pm, which I know is unusual, and the hole in the fencing is only small. I am sure some of the calls must have got away as there are no dead ones and very few feathers around. What suprises me is that Gus & Sweetpea, the runners, were out of the pen so they must have flew/jumped 4ft to do so.  There were no marks that I could see on Gus but quite a bit of blood on Sweetpea. I am going to bait some traps tonight and see if I catch anything......

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:26 »
I think birds are easily frightened to death (heart attack) so that might be the cause.

Good luck with your trapping.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 13:00 »
Awww Prod so sorry to hear this!   :( :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:38 »
So sorry Prod  :(  Hope you catch the culprit.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20 »
So sorry Prod, it's awful .

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 18:51 »
So sorry to here this. It's an awful thing to find.

Good luck catching the culprit.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Prod

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 18:54 »
Thanks  I set traps last night but nothing today..  It is just weird that there are so few feathers, no blood etc  and yet they have all gone.....   :( :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 19:02 »
If the culprits have stored the food it will be a while before they will be back. 

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 40 queries.