peat pots

• 12 Replies

rowlandwells

peat pots
« on: February 23, 2011, 19:20 »
just bought a box of peat pots going to try growing carrots swede parsnip in peat pots basically all that can't be transplanted i will set in multi-purpose compost and bench raise before setting in the lottie about three seeds per pot pricking out to one plant per pot  :)

don't know if it will work but i think its worth a try what do you think is it a good or bad idea
to try this method  :unsure:

Swing Swang

Re: peat pots
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 19:23 »
If they're cheap and you're happy using peat then they're great. If you've some time on you're hand then homemade paper pots or bogrolls are cheaper.

Can't see the point in using them for carrots as they grow quite well and fast enough direct sown, but for 'snips you get a better germination rate and a good quality crop providing you don't let the tap root get tooo long before planting them out.

SS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 19:26 by Swing Swang »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 19:28 »
I think you'll have to be a little bit careful. Even a peat pot can be an obstacle to a delicate tap root they can be actually quite solid, I've found them in the past still attached to sweetcorn when I've pulled the old plants up.

You will have to plant out the carrrots and parsnips before the root reaches the bottom of the pot and then either rip the bottom of the pot off, or keep it well watered.

The first option could disturb the root in the process, the second won't encourage the root to go downwards as it will find its water near the surface.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 22:07 »
It could be partly due to my dry soil but I've always found that peat pots are very slow to rot down once planted out, which is definitely bad news for root crops which should not be subjected to any sort of root restriction.

You can help by making sure the top of the pot is not sticking out of the ground and also by gently tearing the pot apart when planting.

I have to say I still wouldn't recommend them for parsnips and carrots though simply because of the risk of restricting the roots.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 22:17 »
Given up on peat pots.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 22:48 »
Last year I found that paper pots worked better than peat/coir pots.
I made them a bit deeper and I made sure i watered them before planting so the pot was soft :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 00:39 »
I won't waste money on peat pots. As DD said, they're like little metal chambers - very difficult to break through for delicate roots. I've found bits still intact 2 years after tossing them into the compost pile. Enough said.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:22 »
Another vote for newspaper pots :)

Link: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=11390.0

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:56 »
Like other posts I find them very slow to rot down, would not use them for root crops.

With parsnips I make a deep hole and fill with finely sieved compost and sand. Leave sowing untill soil has warmed and put 3/4 seeds per location. Best year for parsnips and leaving the sowing later seemed to reduce canker.

With carrots I use the spade to form a wedge shaped trench (push spade in  and move from sde to side) filled with the same compost & sand. Length of carrots great but still got at by carrot fly. Only Early Nantes OK, must have been in and out before they found them. This was in a 2ft raised bed. 

I have to do the above because my plot is clay with lots of stones.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 18:09 »
i note what your saying have gone on site to get an understanding of making paper pots it does seem a better option to use paper pots rather than peat pots i tried making paper pots last year but i think i slipped up because i sealed the bottom where i should have left it open

i am a bit concerned however that the paper pots may fold over when filled with compost is it a good idea to stand them in a plastic pot  that would make them easier to transport from the greenhouse to the lottie and would it be better to water from the bottom also would it be possible to grow swede the same way i also mentioned carrots again using the same method

can you come back on these questions with your advise as it seems worth tying i know there's probably a bit more work involved but if it produces results its more than worth the effort

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 18:58 »
i think i slipped up because i sealed the bottom where i should have left it open

I fold the newspaper "under" the can I am wrapping it round, to form the base, That holds the thing together, and provides a base

i am a bit concerned however that the paper pots may fold over when filled with compost

They are a bit more fiddly to fill than a conventional, rigid, pot. I fill them, then "drop" them 4 inches, or so, several times, onto the table so the compost firms down. I fill them right to the brim - the compost compacts a bit once you start watering it etc.

I stand them in a seed tray or a gravel tray (be careful with watering if the tray has no drainage holes). Having a whole batch of them means they support each other - the ones in the middle go soggy-er and need a little more care when handing when planting out, the newspaper of the ones around the outside dry more between waterings of course.

i also mentioned carrots again using the same method

I grew carrots once in newspaper pots. I thought it was way too much effort for something the size of the Carrot! - but only you can decide how much Faff is worth it!

I grow my carrots in pots now (about 12" diameter, filled with 50:50 sharp horticultural sand and last-ears used multi-purpose compost (from Potato bags, or urns/tubs etc)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 19:10 »
Tuck the paper in at both top and bottom; it makes quite a strong pot without stapling or sellotaping which will easily last until it is planted out.

My template/former was made from sheet aluminium so I could get it exactly the size I wanted and also square rather than round in cross-section (thought the pots would stand more closely together if squared off; it sort of works!)

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 19:35 »
 thanks all for giving me some sound advise on this matter i will certainly give this a go will let you know further on in the season how it performs

RW

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Peat pots

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:51
by DD.
xx
Peat Pots

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 15:25
by Trillium
xx
peat pots

Started by jondav on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 13:13
by Kristen

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 40 queries.