New plot-rubbish tip

• 11 Replies

plot48

New plot-rubbish tip
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:38 »
Hi, I 've just got my first allotment and had a first look at it this morning-my heart sank. It's basically been used as a dumping ground for everybodys rubbish and odds & sods.
As for the soil condition I've not seen any because of the old carpets, wood and weeds.
So I'm looking for any advice about clearing the site, gradually, and what to plant to benefit the soil since it's an unknown quantity.
Thanks for your help.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 10:48 »
Welcome to the site, plot48.  

If I was you, I'd set aside a part of the plot to dump the junk on as I cultivated the rest.  I don't know if you could get your council to help by providing a skip if it's really bad.

Old carpets sounds like a failed attempt to suppress weeds more than a dump job.

Tackle it in small sections at a time - winning at clearing a six foot patch is far better than looking at what's left.  

Honestly, it's worth it in the end - and you'll get so much satisfaction from making a dump into a productive plot.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 11:06 »
if its that bad i suggest you ask for a years rent off the plot and then make sure you have a allotment skip for use paid for by the council and dump all the rubbish in it. ,if not seperate the rubbish , into burnable and non burnable .two stacks one at the end nearest the road is for unburnable  ( handy to dump ) and the burnable and  the rest down the other end . then working from the road end start to dig and hand clear the bad weeds chucking them on the fire area , this way you can set the fire off with the addition of a bit of accellerent  ( taking care of course ) when you have done you have a cleared plot and can then clean up the nails etc from the fire spot and turn that over well , when you go off the plot take a small amount of the unburnable to the tip on your way home hope that helps  :wink:
still alive /............

Peduk

Bombsite
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 20:22 »
Hi
Do not disappear mon-ami, I to took a plot well half plot this year which was used as dumping ground,

I used the carpets as weed depressants, and the rubble I piled up in a corner of my patch for the animals and creepy crawlies to rest over winter.

Like the people say do bit at time, I done little , but decided to not rush and start growing next year 2007,  Have a look at my blogg, not very good but may help in showing light at the end of the tunnel
Regards

steve

http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 20:26 »
Looks like you're winning Peduk - nice blog, btw.
Took me ages to finally clear to the bottom of the plot - wonderful feeling though.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 20:30 »
Don't panic!

Mine was pretty similar when I took it over in April - complete with a smashed greenhouse buried about a foot down.  Divide it into beds using pegs and string with paths in between (the carpet will be handy here - all my paths are fully carpeted  8) ), you can use any bricks as edging - and just work on one bed at a time.  You could still get autumn onions and garlic in this year - maybe put them in the first bit you clear.  If you can find some pallets to wire together for a compost bin you've got somewhere to dump the green waste, and with muntjac's other waste suggestions you should be sorted!  With any luck, you'll find stuff on the ground that can be turned into something useful.

noshed

New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 21:39 »
Peduk
Your shed looks as alluring as my greenhouse - did you have the same architect? (Mies van der Rohe).
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 23:43 »
You namedropper, Noshed :)

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Weed Depressants
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 10:30 »
Thanks so much for making me smile. I'm not laughing at anyone's spelling, honestly - but next time it's dry enough for me to tackle our wild and weedy plot, I'll be planning on ways to make those weeds so b****y depressed, they'll go live somewhere else !!!!!   Good luck with the plot, Peduk, and do what's suggested, plot out a small manageable patch at a time and dig that.  Also work backwards, so that you are looking at what you've done rather than that vast praree of weeds and stuff behind you !!  
Happy Christmas everyone!   Jean
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

muntjac

New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 10:48 »
and chase up the blooming council for some money off the rent and a skip  :wink:

bandoboy

New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 19:31 »
the best tip i can give you is to make sure you take pics now before you start and as you progress and when you get fed up of digging out weed look at the pics and see how much you have done so far thats what kept me going god luck :D

jessegee

New plot-rubbish tip
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 21:10 »
Oh good luck plot 48! We have just taken on an overgrown plot, the council are not charging us until April, and they will strim the top to give us a head start

Hope your Parish Councillor is supportive?  Perhaps some mince pies....

jessegee
How is a Carrot like a Magnolia bush?

It isn't, that's why I joined this forum......

xx
Rubbish compost or composted rubbish.

Started by squelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 20:19
by Growster...
xx
Rubbish Advice

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 21:38
by DD.
xx
Rubbish Soil

Started by simonyglog on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 09:39
by Kristen
xx
a rubbish gardener

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:45
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 36 queries.