Nettle Tea

• 7 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
Nettle Tea
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:51 »
Hi guys

I was speaking to a neighbour about what organic fertalisors there is out there for veg and he said he swears by nettle tea?

Ive never heard of this before and wondered if someone could tell me the advantages of this and ho you make it?

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Re: Nettle Tea
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:05 »
Just put some nettles in water and let them stew for a while anything from 2 - 4 weeks - it will get really stinky then dilute down to a weak tea colour and water with it, i always try not to touch the plant incase its a bit too strong.  Some people just put a couple in a bucket.  I have a large water drum that i use, i put half a pillow case of nettles in.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:09 »
I had a go at this yesterday. I think you should put a load of nettles in a bucket of water and let them sit for a couple of weeks. You then drain the liquid out and add ‘some’ to a can of water when you want to feed. Not sure on how much ‘some’ should be as it depends how strong the tea is. Led to believe it is a high nitrogen fertiliser (same as comfrey tea).

You can also buy organic fertiliser – I picked some up yesterday when debating blood fish and bone. The NPK of the organic was 4:4:4, can’t remember exactly how that compared with the blood fish and bone, but it was good enough for me. ‘Vitamax’ was the brand, but can’t remember the exact product name.

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17 »
My first ever brew is now ready and I've fed pretty much everything with it - Peas, brassica's, toms, beans, courgettes, spuds.  Too early to tell what difference it's made but it sure does stink.  I use a small plastic container to scoop the tea into a watering can so as not to get it all over the handle of the watering can (no tap on my big blue drum that I'm using), but in the process of doing this last night I spilt some on my trainers, which are canvas and now banished from the house, and then some on my nose of all places, the smell followed me around until I could get home and wash my face  :tongue2:

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 22:01 »
i've  had some of this "brewing" since last week.Is there anything that this CANT be used on?
 Cheers
 Tel.

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 22:09 »
why can you not put it on the leafs? sorry for sounding thick :unsure:

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:59 »
I just prefer not to, i think i read somewhere if the nettle solution is left on the stronger side you can damage the leaves by burning them.  I think if its definately dilute enough then its ok but i always errrrrrrrrr on the side of caution.

thegarybrough

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:21 »
I have a spare water butt i was considering giving over to this job - was planning on putting it behind the shed, but if it smells that bad it's doing at the bottom of the lotty! Thinking I may put a bit of guttering on the back of the composter and set it up for a slow brew!

xx
Nettle tea

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 23:58
by Little Dibber
xx
Nettle tea what when etc

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:51
by gobs
xx
nettle tea

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 08:35
by gavinjconway
xx
Nettle Tea

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 14:26
by Trillium

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 30 queries.