Horse manure

• 6 Replies

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
Horse manure
« on: May 26, 2009, 13:16 »
I've been offered fresh manure, obviously I can't use it straight away, need to let it rot down for a year. The chap who is supplying it said the horses don't bed down on straw (maybe they have posh beds), will this manure have enough hay/straw in it, or will it just be horse poo. I know horses eat hay/straw so there will be some of it in their poo. But if the horses bedded down on straw, when they are mucked out the straw they slept on will be collected along with their poo therefore bulking the manure out. Will this neater blend of manure be OK for the veg? Hope I'm making sense.

Secondly, I've been offered some well rotted manure, but it's covered in nettles. Will this be OK to use. I'll be removing the nettles 1st before using it.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
Re: Horse manure
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 13:48 »
1st lots ok but the second lot has nettle seed in it so put it at thebottom of a deep trench and not on top of the land as youll be forever weeding

gillie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 14:20 »
The horses have been bedded on wood shavings.  In which case the manure will take longer to rot.  If the horses are just stood on concrete (hopefully for only a few hours a day) you will be getting pure poo and no pee so it will have a lower nitrogen content, but would still be worth having.

Cheers,

Gillie

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 18:46 »
I've found out that the horse manure is pure 100% horse poo, no hay or straw is mixed in with it because the horses bed down on rubber matresses. I've got a piece of land that I won't be planting on until later on in the year. I'm just wondering after using round up and rotivating the land should I dig in some of this manure or should I get some with hay or straw in it. Also if I get this done by the weekend how soon will I be able to plant stuff in the ground, will I be able to get some stuff planted to grow over winter? If it's too late to manure the ground, which should I get to rot down for next year, the poo with straw/hay mixed in or the 100%pure poo?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 19:14 »
What a lot of questions  :)

Manure without hay or straw is fine, after all it does contain grass that has been eaten and then digested.

Don't add it to the soil until it is rotted down (i.e. crumbly and smell-free) - in the process of rotting down it robs the soil of nitrogen.

As you said in your first post, it takes up to a year to rot down.

Don't add it to the soil where you plan to grow carrots or parsnips, unless you want to win the strangest shaped veg competition ...  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 20:29 »
Remember to do the weedkiller test before you add the manure to your soil, if the horses have been fed on bought in fodder.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 22:50 »
Sorry, but that's not quite accurate, realfood - the horses' manure can be contaminated even if the fodder wasn't bought in, if they were fed on pasture land which had been treated with a herbicide containing aminopyralid.

Theakston, there is more info on testing for contaminated manure on these pages of the forum

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
clip
horse manure

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2018, 12:47
by snowdrops
clip
Horse manure

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 09:01
by jambop

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 29 queries.