netting

• 4 Replies

yummy

netting
« on: April 30, 2007, 21:32 »
There are various fruit bushes scattered about the plot that we have taken on. I'm not sure when they need protecting or what to use?

We have gooseberry bushes, already covered in fruits about 1cm in diameter. There are raspberry canes about 18 inches high now. There are some currant bushes with green fruits just starting to appear. We also have a strawberry patch.

Do they all need netting right now? Or can some wait til later?

I have had a look at some gardening shops online and there are so many different types of netting. I don't know which one I need really. Do I need to buy different types for different plants? My brassicas are going in soon and they will need netting I guess so would be good to sort those at the same time if poss.

All advice gratefully accepted. I've really no idea what I am doing and don't want to buy a load of stuff that I don't need.

Thanks  :)

andygh

netting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 21:37 »
You need 10mm mesh to protect brassicas from cabbage whites but a larger mesh would do to keep birds off your fruit.

ncidentally make sure the netting doesnt touch the brassica plants at any point otherwise the little boogers will be able to reach through & lay their eggs

leeky

netting
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 21:38 »
got goosberry bushes in the back garden. the birds totally wrecked them last year, i was pulling my hair out.  they seemed to just peck them off and move to another one, jump to the ground and then bob up and down mocking me!  :shock:  :lol:
i will throw some netting over if the invasion starts again this year.

ruffmesiter_69

netting
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:17 »
10mm is the best stuff, make sure you get it flat packed though because if its rolled its a ***** to get it stretched flat again, i suggest wilki £3.49 4m * 2m pond and crop netting,

check out this to see what we did with ours Netting

yummy

netting
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 12:05 »
Had a look at your site - cheers. Nice radish by the way :lol:  Mine are looking quite big now and I'm hoping to be chomping on them by next weekend :D  Also had a couple of parsnips show up in the past week.

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
Netting

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2022, 18:37
by Growster...
xx
netting

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 20:25
by gobs
xx
Netting

Started by kingdhesiii on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 23:17
by Trillium

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.