• Experienced Member
rhubarb wine
« on: April 24, 2007, 20:06 »
anybody got a proven recipe please?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
rhubarb wine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 22:47 »
I've got a recipe for rhubarb wine jackie, but not sure if it the the same one I used years ago.  I'll put it on here tomorrow for you.  Going to bed in a minute!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
rhubarb wine
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:29 »
Hi,

I have just put a couple of gallons of Rhubarb wine on the go as we can't keep up with the fruit anymore and don't want it wasted (or to waste freezer space at present).  This is how I make it.

Ingredients:
3 lb rhubarb
3 lb sugar
1 sachet general purpose wine yeast.

Procedure:
Wipe the rhubarb, but do not peel. Chop into small pieces. Place in a large bowl and cover with sugar.

Leave overnight until the sugar has dissolved. Strain off the syrup and cover the rhubarb with water to rinse off any remaining sugar. Add this liquid to the syrup and make it up to 1 gallon with water and a cup of cold black tea to add astringency (yes this really does work).

Add the wine yeast and transfer the liquid to a demi-john fitted with an airlock. Leave to ferment, which can be anything from a week to three weks. Using a hydrometer, Stop fermentation using two Campden tablets when the reading reaches around 1.01. Leave the wine to clear naturally. Pour the wine into sterilised bottles, and leave for a minimum of 3 months. I find it is best after about 6 months - but this wine needs to be drunk when relatively young as it does not store well long term - 2 years max.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

David.

rhubarb wine
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 16:45 »
My first post since joining the other day, because I've been busy putting on 10 galls of rhubarb as above 'sugar extraction' method.

Made some last year - wonderful by Christmas (and yesterday!) and I prefer it to that made using 'cold soak' method.

WG.

rhubarb wine
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 16:57 »
10 gallons - how much rhubarb does that need??

Welcome to you both (that is to you and your liver)  :wink:

David.

rhubarb wine
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 20:01 »
Picked 45lbs, but after cutting off ends and rejecting part/whole stems I was left with enough sliced stem for 11.g galls, however after a precautionary hydrometer check at 5 galls in each fermenter decided to stop as rest of potential had been lost as wastage as filling 2 buckets with numerous 3lb layers of rhubarb & sugar appears sligthly less efficient than than a seperate bucket fo each gallon.

jpb1958

rhubarb wine
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 00:38 »
I read somewhere that rhubarb juice is easier to extract if it has been frozen first.
Any thoughts?

John

WG.

rhubarb wine
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:39 »
Yes jpb1958 that's what I am trying (right now in fact).  I plan to put them through a Mouli foodmill after thawing

"if you don't have a wine press freeze the stalks solid then let them thaw in a strainer over a big bowl when they're thawed, squeeze as much of the juice out as you can"

And Welcome to the forum.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
rhubarb wine
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 07:22 »
we always freeze rhubarb when making wine ,a woman in the winebrew shop told us to try it ,definatly better after its been frozen we also tried it with strawberrys got more juice that way

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
rhubarb wine
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 10:44 »
Do I freeze it with the sugar on or add the sugar before or after defrosting? Haven't got round to it yet and rhubarb taking over the garden. Who needs a gunnera? Got leaves 3 foot across.

WG.

rhubarb wine
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 11:30 »
For wine or jam : freeze without sugar

flatcap

• Experienced Member
rhubarb wine
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:56 »
if your making wine put the sugar in the tub with rhubarb when its defrosting,and leave at least 24hours we normaly leave it a few days before straining juice off

charlwooduk

Re: rhubarb wine
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:06 »
I found this wine so easy to make, thanks for the recipe.  :)
I froze the rhubarb first and added the sugar when defrosting. 
I did fine it incredibly sweet, more like a desert wine.  I'm currently waiting on a second batch mixed half and half with apples.  We shall see.

xx
Rhubarb Wine

Started by Cazzy on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 12:16
by SarahB
xx
Rhubarb wine.

Started by thedadtony on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 20:37
by SG6
xx
Rhubarb wine

Started by bazh on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 20:43
by plot107
xx
Rhubarb wine...again!

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 20:09
by Kevin67

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.