Greenhouse insulation (1st timer)

• 9 Replies

shaun_darbs

Greenhouse insulation (1st timer)
« on: March 06, 2013, 23:21 »
Hi, I've recently insulated my greenhouse with bubble wrap and was wondering if it was ok the leave up during the summer months?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Greenhouse insulation (1st timer)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 23:40 »
Hi Shaun.  My small greenhouse is bubblewrapped all year.  Aunt Sally told me several years ago that hers was like this.

It doesn't seem to adversely affect the crops I grow in there.  Still gets loads of light, just more diffused!

shaun_darbs

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 23:56 »
Thanks for the reply. Would it be ok to start sowing seeds in the greenhouse now, its Unseated but I do have a parrafin heater I can put it there.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 13:44 »
Put a thermometer in there Shaun.  Ideally a min/max one, then you can check what the overnight temperature gets down to.

I've got a few tomato, chilli and cucumber seedlings in my kitchen at the moment, and won't be potting them on into the G/H for another couple of weeks.

I've got a paraffin heater, but never use it.

I am starting to sow a few of my broad beans and other more hardy things in there this week.  I have them on the staging, and the seed pots and trays are covered over with more bubble wrap to help keep the warmth and water in.    Bit like this one the other year!  Only that is the other greenhouse and it was fleeced rather than bubble wrap!

Some people use those little mini greenhouse things.  I keep thinking about it, but only if I can get them really cheap!  ;)
greenhouse 002.JPG

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 18:01 »

Argos pens or pencils are just the right width to trap the bubble wrap in the grooves of Ally greenhouses  ;)!

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

shaun_darbs

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 19:32 »
Ok thank you, il jump on that the weekend. Got some spare bubbler wrap left too.

Yana

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 20:20 »
I've not insulated a greenhouse before but this year I am aiming to. I bought the bubble wrap (well it says it is bubble wrap but it is really thin- I did a post about the company a while ago and advised folk to avoid them) but they didn't include the fixings.
I have a 6ft X 8ft and 6ft x 10ft greenhouse, both aluminium, so need to get the fixings.
Any advice?
Tony, you mean the implements for writing out an order at the high street retailers?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 22:11 »
I use these.  they can take a bit of wiggling if the bubble wrap is thick, but mine have been in now for 4-5 years!

fixings

Yana

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 22:51 »
Believe me Grannie the bubble wrap is not thick at all. I'll order the fixings as the weather forecast for Dattford on Monday next week is snow showers but doubt I'll get the fixings by then.
BTW - the Comfrey is coming on a treat, even though the foxes did dig it all up first time I planted the cuttings you sent.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 23:00 »
Ooooh pleased the comfrey is doing well.

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 38 queries.