Potato problem

• 6 Replies

jeancrosbie

Potato problem
« on: August 14, 2009, 19:20 »
Hi, I'm up in Cumbria and planted maincrop Arran Victory this year.  I wasn't expecting to harvest until at least Sept.  The haulms grew unbelievably long but very healthy looking - till this morning.  Half the crop was brown and flopped.  I panicked.  Blight!  I pulled 1/2 the tops up and dug up some spuds . . only to find them firm and healthy looking apart from tiny white pimples which I could scrape off with my nail.

What were these?  How can I tell if it was normal dieback or blight (I looked at http://www.potato.org.uk/department/knowledge_transfer/pests_and_diseases/ref.html?item=28
but couldn't be sure.

Advice of what to do would be much appreciated.  Thankyou
Jean

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Re: Potato problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 19:56 »
I dug up all my Desiree mains yesterday and today. A good crop with a few slug damaged. Some of mine also had little white spots on which I rubbed off and them left them in sun! to dry. An experienced plotter told me this was the first sign of blight but, like you I can't find any good proof of this so I'm hoping for some advice too. Esp. whether they are alright to store.
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 21:02 »
Don't know about white spots, but do know that if your potato tops show signs of blight you are supposed to cut the tops off and either bag up for rubbish tip or burn. You then leave the taters in the ground undisturbed for about a fortnight.....reasoning is that underground they should escape the worst of the blight spores.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 22:29 »
White spots are unrelated to blight, mine have them every year and not blight.  They don't affect the spud's taste or keeping at all.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 22:30 »
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 22:39 »
Two reason for leaving spuds in the ground after removing blight damaged tops:
1. Blight spores are less likely to go onto the potatoes if you leave them in the ground for a while
2. This the one I was told was worth noting: Potato skins have a chance to harden / thicken so the crop will store for longer....but this depends on whether or not you will be eating them straight away or drying and bagging for longer term storage.

The little raised pimples (a bit like goose bumps) are, as has been said, nothing to do with blight as far as I know.

I have heard of this before but can't for the life of me remember what causes it - fat lot of help, eh?? I'll look it up and post again if I manage to find out.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jeancrosbie

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 17:04 »
Many thanks - I feel re-assured.  As Hilary said - Phwew!!!!
I'm going to enjoy this site - it's like having a plot on an allotment instead of all alone in the middle of nowhere.

xx
potato problem

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 09:44
by p00rstudent
xx
Potato Problem

Started by blue_seeds on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 16:01
by blue_seeds
xx
Potato Problem.

Started by muckshifter on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 18:31
by muckshifter
xx
Potato problem

Started by mickleuk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 19:26
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 40 queries.