Sex links

• 7 Replies

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Sex links
« on: June 06, 2008, 13:38 »
I would like to cross my Rhode Island Red cockerel with another pure breed of hen to get some sex link chicks.
Anyone with any knowlege on this ?
What other hens could i use and what would i get?
Is there any way i can look on the internet for some ideas?
Thank you - Jonny

Bodger

Sex links
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 13:47 »
I'm good to you jonny :lol:

I've had to delve to the back of beyond to find this little piece of mine.

Sex Linkage.

What this refers to is the fact that if you cross certain breeds of chickens, the resulting chicks can be sexed by the colour as they come out of the egg. In other words, all the females will be one colour and the males a diferent one. Day old chicks are tricky to sex and this trait can be very useful.
You may remember that a few weeks ago, I purchased a set of old farming books that were written in the 1940s. The books are very outdated but are making interesting reading. The poultry book, talks of what are now rare breeds as everyday poultry on the farms of the UK.

I saw them and couldn't resist them, they are first editions written in 1944 and I paid £10 for the seven. I havent seen these before, has anyone else ?
One or two of them, could prove to be very useful, they were originally priced at 4/6d each :thumbup:

To give you an idea of just how much things have changed, heres a list of sex linked pairings that they suggest.

Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex
Rhode Island Red X White Sussex ( I've never heard of White Sussex)
Buff Rock X White Wyandotte
Brown Leghorn X Light Sussex
Brown Leghorn X White Wyandotte
Buff Leghorn X Light Sussex
Buff Leghorn X White Wyandotte

Has anyone ever seen a Buff Leghorn ?

Wellsummer X White Wyandotte
Black Leghorn X Barred Rock
Indian Game X Light Sussex
Indian Game X Faverolle.

albi pekinrus

auto sex rhodeisland red x light sussex
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:19 »
hi can you tell me what colour is cock and what colour hen for a rr cock and a light sussex hen cross, also the teach yourself farming series i have 14 that was my dads when he started out farming regards albi.

Foxy

Sex links
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:01 »
Would love to read those books! What a find!!! :lol:

I believe that you cross a "gold" cock ie RIR with a "silver" hen to get the sex linkage.So RIR X Light or Silver sussex, I think it has to be a red cock over the light sussex hen though not the other way round. Then you can sex then due to the colour of the chick down.

woodburner

Sex links
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 17:23 »
Pekin bantams have a nice set of articles on various aspects of poultry genetics. For some reason the link to page 2 is broken so here is the correct link for page two., which is the page with the sil-go link. Third paragraph from the bottom.

Yes, dad has to be red and mums silver (mostly white).
Males will be (mostly) white, and the hens will be red. It's kind of counter intuitive as you'd expect the boys to take after dad etc.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Sex links
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 23:33 »
The manager of the hatchery we use told me that the hens take their colouring from the cockerel, so a Bovans Goldline hen is a cross between a RIR cockerel and a light sussex hen

whereas a white Amberlink hen is the other way round!

also he told us that our Babcock chicks will all be hens as they are sexed by their colours, but with the amberlinks we had 2 cockerals in the batch as they are feather sexed and mistakes are sometimes made!

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Sex links
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 14:03 »
So if I crossed a light sussex cock to a rir hen I would get amberlinks?  The chicks would all be white\silver is that correct?
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Sex links
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 14:45 »
I think that's the basics, but all this crossing about is VERY scientific nowadays, so don't sue me if it don't work out right!!!!

I think you also have to take into consideration that some characteristics skip a generation like they do with humans, when they may say oh he's got his granddad's nose!!!!!  So you may have a RIR who isn't pure rhodey and goodness knows what you'll end up with, but with the commercial hatcheries, they have all the parent stock and grandparent stock records, so they know what will come out of that egg!

xx
Amber-links

Started by Alby on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 16:04
by Alby

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.