Run roof.

• 10 Replies

Lardman

Run roof.
« on: April 27, 2009, 15:57 »
I've just ordered my stuff to build the girls new summer run but I'm a little unsure about the roof.

As its only 3ft high I thought I might make the roof from weld mesh panels I can remove so I can get in to clean up, then I thought I might use plastic sheet, the mini corrugated stuff, but Im worried it will turn into a green house and I'll have roast chickens. I could do a solid roof and felt it but I couldn't get in to clean.

Then I thought Id stop thinking and ask you lot  :D  :D

I've current have some builders thick clear plastic over their run which not only looks shockingly bad but I have to bail it out after heavy rain as it collect in the center.

I'll be moving the run next year so I need to be able to dismantle it and rebuild without too much hassle or damage.

parson

• Experienced Member
Re: Run roof.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 16:32 »
Why not make the run high enough for you to get under the roof?

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 16:47 »
Why not make the run high enough for you to get under the roof?

Cost  :( It would need to be at least 6'. Id be looking a well over 300gbp to build something like that. I just can't justify it for a temp structure. Although I probably will when I've settled on a final location for them.

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 17:20 »
We have the plastic sheeting the corrugated stuff. Fantastic...the rain drips off as we've put it at an angle  ours is 6ft though but the chickens don't get burned.  Its just brill as the light still gets through which is what chickens need to lay well and they get to stay dry.

Having said that we only put ours over half of the run so they gould go out if they wish............ we now have 9 drounded looking chickens ::)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 17:30 »
On my small house and run we have the corrugated sheets, it lets in light keeps off the rain and think the whole lot only cost £16, it doesnt make them hot cause its only on the roof and plenty of air circulates under! this run is only 3.5 ft high too!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:42 »
we have plastic sheeting (3 thick) at the moment and we keep the rain from collecting by having chicken wire on a frame then the sheet on top of that!

but! we are saving up to buy some clear corrugated plastic as it's more hard wearing (and won't slap the frame in the wind like the current sheeting does - scares our birds to death  :ohmy: ! )

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 13:15 »
I have a welded wire roof that opens up like an accordion and over that the corregated plastic that I use when the weather is crummy.  The plastic comes on and off when I clean, feed, etc.  I weigh it down with bricks.  Easy on and off.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Sparkle

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 21:26 »
After all this discussion about run roofs its got me thinking

Does it matter that I have a 6' high run with no roof on it for my girls?
 - they have a big orange beach umbrella (!) as a temporary measure so they can be outside but dry but I was going to put a tarp over some of the run but they took one look at it and and made their displeasure clear so I left the brolly which they don't seem bothered by
I want to make sure they are happy hens
Sparx

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:55 »
We got the corragated plastic sheeting for our roof omg! what fun trying to cut it NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: But it has done a great job £17.99 a sheet from focus :D

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:12 »
After all this discussion about run roofs its got me thinking

Does it matter that I have a 6' high run with no roof on it for my girls?
 - they have a big orange beach umbrella (!) as a temporary measure so they can be outside but dry but I was going to put a tarp over some of the run but they took one look at it and and made their displeasure clear so I left the brolly which they don't seem bothered by
I want to make sure they are happy hens
Sparx

:lol:  if yours are anything like ours, then they'll go all around the run where they'll get wet and not go anywhere near the shelter!!!

Sparkle

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 22:35 »
Glad it's not just my chucks that are a bit dippy!

xx
do we need a roof?

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 10:17
by Sassy
xx
Run roof

Started by chelle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 19:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
New Roof Required

Started by stamford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 20:41
by Janschooks
clip
Large run roof

Started by carl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:52
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 35 queries.