sleeping on the roof

• 3 Replies

Stewart P

sleeping on the roof
« on: November 27, 2015, 21:22 »
We've had our 4 new POLs for 2 weeks now and perplexed why they seem to prefer sleeping on the coop roof rather than inside the coop itself. 

Previous newbies did the same thing for a day or two but soon learnt how to go to bed after either picking them up and posting them through the door or using the torch trick.  The new girls have been much slower off the mark and two weeks on and there's at least one and often all four snoozing on the roof when I get home from work and go to tuck them in.

Sometimes if we post them in, they come drowsily out again, even though its after dark.  They clearly know how to get into the coop when they need to lay their little pullety eggs.

I'm not especially worried, just curious why they would want to sleep in the increasingly cold and breezy al fresco when they could be tucked up nice and cosy.

They are light Sussex x amber star hybrids if that's of any significance to their nocturnal preferences.

grinling

Re: sleeping on the roof
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 21:28 »
I have found new hens,with old ones, will try for the roof,which as very little height before they hit their head on the run roof.
The older ones also guard the entrance and the perches and the nest box.
To stop my final one we put chicken wire over the top.....we then put up what we use for guinea pig run extension, which is chicken wire on a wood frame.  This had to go from roof to over the nest box,

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 22:24 »
Could you post some pics of your coop, roosts, roof, etc. so we can get an idea of their dilemma? 

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33 »
It could be they are not being allowed in. When they have been in bed a whils and are drowsy lift the new ones in :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Sleeping on the roof

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 21:45
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
sleeping out

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:57
by jo40
xx
How do I get them all sleeping together?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 09:39
by Carla
xx
Sleeping outside

Started by jaws on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 20:46
by joyfull

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.