Plants & chickens

• 20 Replies

snowdrops

Plants & chickens
« on: October 17, 2015, 11:32 »
Hi there,although I've kept a couple of chickens a few years ago,I was unaware of this forum then. My daughter has now become the proud keeper of 3 hens,a warren & 2 Sussex,one white, one black.

Are there any plants that would be harmful to be put in the run with them? I am currently doing the Autumn clear up in my garden,shredding as I go & wondered if any would cause the hens a problem. I've advised her to try to get a deep litter system going in the outside run. I know potatoes are a no go & maybe rhubarb leaves. Any help or pointers to a site that might list them. Thank you in advance.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Plants & chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 13:51 »
There's a lot of information, including poisonous plants and other toxins in our help section:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4748

I hope she enjoys her hens :)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 16:08 »
There's a lot of information, including poisonous plants and other toxins in our help section:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4748

I hope she enjoys her hens :)

Thank you I must have missed it, I'll take a look.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 19:54 »
I've had a look but what it refers to is a very long list of plants that are poisonous to cats, is it the same for chickens?

RubyR3d

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 21:05 »
I've generally found they seem to know what's not good for them. I have let them out in the general garden for years and they seem to have a go at most weeds and plants including rhubarb. Some plants poke through the holes in the wire and they've left those alone

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 21:24 »
Hmm I wonder d about me shredding loads of stuff whether they might not know whether it was edible or not. I haven't given them any of it as I shredded some pruning so from a solanum? Which is the same family as potato, just to be on the safe side. I'd never forgive myself plus DD wouldn't let me forget it😱

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 21:56 »
I've had a look but what it refers to is a very long list of plants that are poisonous to cats, is it the same for chickens?

The "Poisonous Plants and Toxins" link takes you to information on the Poultry Club of Great Britain site. 

I've removed the cat one, that should not have been there. ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:47 »
Ok thank you, doesn't take much to confuse me😄

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 09:35 »
Foxglove (digitalis) is one that can be a hazard i had a hen that was unwell for no obvious reason till i saw the peck marks in the leaves.
Took the plants out , end of problem !
As mentioned before hens normally know what is good for them.......but there is always an exception ! ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 10:21 »
To be fair there's nothing in DDs garden at the moment as it has all been cleared. She's not let them free range as yet & possibly won't as neighbours report foxes took their hens free ranging in broad daylight. She had considered it on her days off but she's also an on call firefighter & wouldn't have time to get them back in the run as she has to be up to the station in 4 minutes. Also I remember when we had chickens & started letting them out they were always looking to be let out, whereas hers don't know any different & seem very content. It was me that was shredding stuff & was going to take it to enhance the run floor aka deep litter style that Beeskissed discusses.
Thanks for the help I've now looked at the list for chickens & see I've shredded stuff they can't have so won't be taking any to them from this load.

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 19:27 »
I'd just put that stuff into a pile and let time take care of the material, then when it's composted down a little I'd go ahead and throw it in there to finish.  By then they'll not be wanting to pick through as the greens will no doubt have been composted beyond anything they'd want to eat. 

I'd also not take the time to shred the stuff, but would place it in there whole so they can differentiate between the materials and leave those alone that they would normally leave.  Being confined all the time, they may go ahead and sample of all the greens just because they are currently deprived of such things, so that's a consideration and could change the reasoning behind my suggestion.  Any chance you can give them a grow frame for them to have their own greens for the picking?

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 19:49 »
Thanks Beekissed, I was hoping you'd comment, yes a grownframe  might be a possibility. The run is about 2.4 Mtrs X 1.8 mtrs wide, plus the house is raised. So they've not got acres but sufficient & at the moment they appear quite content

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 19:33 »
I like the look of the grow frame Beekissed. Is there any change you could give a bit of detail of how it works/what you grow.  Do you manage to keep it going/growing through winter?

Beekissed

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 03:02 »
I don't use the grow frames as my chickens free range all the time, but I know folks who do and they love them.  They grow just about anything they want in those frames, different kinds of grasses, clover, beets, kale, spinach, winter wheat, oats, corn, etc. 

I'd say if someone had a covered run that let in the daylight~or placed a poly tunnel over the frame~ they could probably keep grasses or winter greens growing just fine in one of these all winter....it's just 2x4 frames covered in hardware wire.  The chicken's feces fertilize the greens and the wire and frames keep the chickens from trampling upon and scratching up the roots of the plants, while still being able to clip off the tops as they please. 

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 15:38 »
Thanks Beekissed.  I love the idea of grow frames.  But, being a DIY struggler, can anybody suggest what's best to use as the mesh (as it obviously needs to be sturdy enough for the chickens to stand on).

question
Plants chickens WON'T eat

Started by trish25158 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 21:35
by Bev
xx
Plants for chickens

Started by sarahab on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 13:03
by Sassy
xx
Plants and chickens

Started by lou-b-lou on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 12:24
by lou-b-lou
xx
what plants are chickens not able to eat

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 13:15
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 36 queries.