Planning ahead - sweetcorn

• 7 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Planning ahead - sweetcorn
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:56 »
So I finally got round to checking my seed tins this morning.

I have got half packets of 2 sweetcorn types left: sundance F1 (which I believe is a normal sugar type) and Sweet Nugget F1 which I believe is an extra sweet type.

I know there are some groups of sweetcorn you can't mix but I can't find this information anywhere - does anyone know if I can grow these 2 types together? It would just be annoying to have to buy more and waste these seeds

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Planning ahead - sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58 »
This will clear it up for you  ;)
http://www.crookham.com/sweet-corn-genotypes

I just grow one type - seems the safest and easiest option to work out...

Pip pip,
Balders

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 14:21 »
Hmm... Looks like I probably have one from each group - typical! Will have to buy more seeds...

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 14:33 »
don't know if i done it right but i grew sweet nugget and rising sun side by side last year and there wasn't any problems.

i did find that both varieties cropped at roughly the same time though so will prob just stick to one variety when the seeds are used up

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 15:28 »
Hmm... Looks like I probably have one from each group - typical! Will have to buy more seeds...

Might be a blessing in disguise - other peoples' experiences may differ, but I've not found that the F1 sweetcorn varieties I've tried (including Sundance, but also Swift) germinate very well the second year, although it's not usually much of an issue because the packets I buy usually only contain around 35 seeds, which is more or less the maximum number I've got room for anyway.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 21:02 »

Sow at different times, so they are not pollinating at the same time?

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:40 »
Unlike JayG's experience, my sweet corn seeds have germinated well even after four years; but as said, others may find it not so. As for sowing at diferent times, could be an idea to try but later sowings can often catch up with earlier ones. What suits me is to grow them in the greenhouse bed as well as outside and, if you have two varieties, they shouldn't cross-pollinate as last year, my GH ones cropped much earlier than the outside ones.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 21:32 »
Unlike JayG's experience, my sweet corn seeds have germinated well even after four years; but as said, others may find it not so. As for sowing at diferent times, could be an idea to try but later sowings can often catch up with earlier ones. What suits me is to grow them in the greenhouse bed as well as outside and, if you have two varieties, they shouldn't cross-pollinate as last year, my GH ones cropped much earlier than the outside ones.

Oh for a greenhouse....

Although to be fair I wouldn't be able to get to the plot often enough to stop everything drying out and overheating! Maybe one day when I work a job that is nearer or with better hours!

xx
Planning ahead

Started by Clueless on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 09:04
by WG.
xx
Planning ahead....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 12:45
by beesrus
xx
Planning ahead

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:24
by snow white
xx
Out of interest and planning ahead....

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 13:50
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 36 queries.