Greenhouse temperature

• 8 Replies

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
Greenhouse temperature
« on: May 11, 2013, 18:00 »
Hi all,

We have an unheated glass greenhouse, 10' by 8', at the allotment. I'm really running out of space in the house and need to put many of my plants, including beans, tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse, but I'm worried that it's get too cold for them at night.

Does anyone know what the approx difference is in temperatures inside and outside a glass greenhouse? For instance, if it's 5 degrees outside, what will it be inside? I can't get down to the plot at night and so have no idea how cold the greenhouse would become.

Many thanks

Andi

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Greenhouse temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 18:03 »
A unheated greenhouse will retain it's heat, but only for so long. As everything inside it cools down, it will drift down towards ambient temperature. The best you could hope for is a couple of degrees above what it is outside.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 18:11 »
That's why I recommend getting a max/min thermometer - so you can see what's going on ;)
They're cheap enough
on ebay

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 18:12 »
We've inherited a greenhouse (if you can call it that, homemade, no glass, but the double wall poly stuff instead), this past week we've seen overnight temps as high as 11 and as low as 5, so nothing that needs constant 10 or above in ours yet. Hoping, hoping that it won't be too much longer as like you running out of space indoors.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 18:12 »
Apart from a heated propogator to start things off. Everything I have:, tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn, beans etc have been in my unheated little poly tunnel for a couple of months. When the frosts were bad I just put some fleece or anything I could find, over them, and I haven't suffered any setbacks whatsoever. At times the night temps in there dropped to just above freezing. Maybe they are already hardened off but it all looks really healthy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 18:15 »
Steve it would really help if we knew where you were when you say things like that  :nowink: - please add a location to your profile.

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 18:40 »
Thanks for all your replies  :) I do have a thermometer in the greenhouse, but as I'm unable to get down there after 7pm (no childcare) there's no way I can tell what the temp is at night  :( For the same reason, I'm unable to cover the plants with fleece at night time. I have been hardening the plants off now for a couple of weeks so I might just have to bite the bullet and shove them all in the greenhouse at the end of next week, come what may  :(   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 20:11 »
You don't have to go down at night to read the temperature  :nowink: max min/thermometers hold  the highest and lowest temperature until you reset it  ;) giving you an idea of your local temperature trends.

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:48 »
Thanks for ebay link, will buy one of these.
Kind Regards
Bill

xx
greenhouse temperature

Started by hanssg on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 21:27
by barley
xx
The current temperature in my greenhouse is.............?

Started by JayG on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 07:55
by 8doubles
xx
Monitoring Temperature in a Greenhouse

Started by cadalot on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

67 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 07:58
by steved
xx
maximum greenhouse temperature

Started by Ghost on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 20:48
by yorky

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.