It gets better and better.

• 8 Replies

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
It gets better and better.
« on: May 09, 2011, 20:51 »
We got our half plot in March 2010 after waiting only 6months, I found it difficult last year to get to grips with it and subsequently landing up not digging over half of it.........However this year the plot is completly dug, soft fruit bushes are trimmed and taken care off back in early spring and two thrids of the plot are cultivated with plants growing or seeds sown. in the last year we have made some good friends at our site and feel a real part of a "community". I am now in the swing of daily or every other day visits and find myself impatient to leave work and get up the plot!!! My wife suprisingly took a great interest last summer and took over the running of it while I had a very busy couple of months at work. ???

The reason I write this is to encourage all the new starters this year and to let you all know that it takes time but it really is a slow and steady race, not a sprint as I thought last year!!! So summers on its way and we should be glad that we are lucky enough to have our own plots and slice of "the good life" :D.........and think of the pouring rain this week as neccesary and our freind..... :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 20:53 by Half a plot man »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: It gets better and better.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 21:11 »
Nicely put and well done  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 21:13 »
Nicely put and well done  :D

Thanks Yorkie, I think a lot has to do with your own site and the people there. I make a point of trying to engage with most people on our site, sometimes due to our over enthusiastic 5year old son who likes to help everyone!

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 21:15 »
A nice post and I completely agree with you.  It gets easier and easier with more and more rewards.  Either that or we get more used to the hard work  :D

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 21:26 »
Nicely put Half, I put my name on the local allotment list a few years ago and by the looks of it I'd be waiting a good while too. So 2 years ago I took it on myself to ask around locally and luckily I found a piece of land that I'm now renting. It's a great escape and love going down there and working on my plot, the only downside is that I'm on my own so I don't get any sense of the community spirit

SkipRat

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 22:02 »
I completely agree with you, I remember when I started a long time ago now, that the first few years at times the plot seemed like a chore , but as time went on it starts to become a way of life, and it gets easier and even more enjoyable.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 22:08 »
Nicely put Half, I put my name on the local allotment list a few years ago and by the looks of it I'd be waiting a good while too. So 2 years ago I took it on myself to ask around locally and luckily I found a piece of land that I'm now renting. It's a great escape and love going down there and working on my plot, the only downside is that I'm on my own so I don't get any sense of the community spirit

Ah but good on you for having the initiative to search out your own "slice of the goodlife"!!!

Outofdepth

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 22:26 »
I look forward to that feeling. We are new to our allotment and have no expereince, I guess we are sprinting to make our neglected site look right.  Nice post, reassuring to us, we too have a lovely community on our site.

We make sure to pick the brains of all and enjoy chatting to like minded people, though I avoid working on the site when others are there......my methods, technique, and plain dizziness would make a successful Monty python sketch i'm sure.  :D

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 23:04 »
We had been on our local waiting list for 3 years but finally got our plot about 4 weeks ago on a brand new site. I must admit that we've hit the ground running, and I'm completely obsessed.

Acheing but loving every minute.

Stu
Yer Tiz!!

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 30 queries.