slug Deterrent

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

slug Deterrent
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:02 »
 I've been offered a sheep wool fleece and the person said its good for keeping slugs at bay? but the person offeriing the fleece didn't how it worked do you cut it up into peices and put it round brassicas or spread the peices over the ground so before buying i need to know if poss if it works and what you  do with it as a deterrant ?

also we have some old coir hanging basket liners and i wondered if they could be used for a sug deterrant? it also been sugested that putting straw round brassias stops slugs ?
anyone got any advice on using those things a for slugs

snow white

Re: slug Deterrent
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 18:24 »
I've tried everything.  The wool didn't stop the blighters.  When I looked they were breeding underneath it!   The only thing that works is pellets.  (I use the organic ones).  Copper seemed to work until it peeled off.  Egg shells and gravel didn't work.  Ash didn't work.  Copper cabbage collars didn't work.  Haven't tried coir.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 18:33 »
that's interesting snow white so I'm not going to even try what I said  going to keep to my slug pellets  many thanks

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 21:36 »
Beer traps worked perfect for me. One metre apart. Beer free from pub. Not finding any slugs in the traps for weeks. Nor any damage to plants.

lettice

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 16:53 »
Have read over the years and elsewhere that the wool pellets work ok, but no better than anything else.
Of course the blue pellets are the best, but we all tend to not use those now if we have animals.
Tried the organic ones for a while, but they did nothing and even those can be harmful to pets and wildlife to a lesser degree.

Would have thought though that actual sheep wool would get tangled onto tools when digging, racking  or hoeing.
Also, would reckon it would attract foxes and similar animals  if they still smell to your garden.
I use 'beer' traps around the plot, well a yeast mixture from the bread yeast I use and that works very well to catch slugs and snails. Regularly emptying them into my nematode bucket when they suddenly pop out in mumbers, which is usually after a rain spell.
But best ploy, is out with a torch at night and very early morning and pick them off by hand or a tool of your choice.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 20:01 »
My understaning is stuff like wool is supposed to make it a bit more difficult for slugs to move.  Given that wool insulates even when wet that fleece might make good root warmers or compost (wool compost must be good for what it costs!).  The best organic method of slug control is a skewer  :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 20:36 by hasbeans »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 20:12 »
Did the RHS do a survey not that long ago?
Seem to recal a mate telling me. If I remember the only method that worked was the blue pellet!
Of course these are soon to be banned.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
SLUG DETERRENT

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2006, 07:54
by yewtreemob
xx
Slug deterrent (possibly)

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 13:34
by shedmeister
xx
Slug and Snail deterrent.

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 10:10
by iwantanallotment
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 46 queries.