Slug deterrent (possibly)

• 7 Replies

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
Slug deterrent (possibly)
« on: June 04, 2015, 00:04 »
Last year I made some cages up to a cover my onion sets against pigeons and b to use as a drying frame for the said onions.
These are a simple wood frame covered with galvanized chicken wire.
This year being stuck for space I used two of these to harden off my brassica plants. one of them had a sheet of perspex on the top the other was plain wire.
The plants on the plain wire were perfect but on the other the plants were almost munched to non existance.
Would galvanized wire work the same as copper strip ?
May the fork be with you

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Slug deterrent (possibly)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:19 »
I think it's safe to say that opinion is very much divided as to whether copper strips do or don't work.

Some claim it's the poisonous copper salts created as it weathers which are the real deterrent, others say it doesn't work as well after it has lost its shine because it has then lost most of its ability to generate the slight electrical current which is the real deterrent.

In theory, galvanised iron could also act as an electrode and produce a tiny electric current - it's an interesting observation you have made, but probably requires more testing before you are ready to take on the lovers of nice, shiny copper strips and make your fortune!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:56 »
It could be that the Perspex was just easier to crawl over than the chicken wire? I keep a lot of seedlings on wire shelves and they are never touched so I reckon it's a good policy anyway.
Rachael

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 13:03 »
I still say a handful of spent hops (free, from the local micro brewery) sprinkled round plants are a great slug repellant.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:41 »
I think it's safe to say that opinion is very much divided as to whether copper strips do or don't work.

Some claim it's the poisonous copper salts created as it weathers which are the real deterrent, others say it doesn't work as well after it has lost its shine because it has then lost most of its ability to generate the slight electrical current which is the real deterrent.

In theory, galvanised iron could also act as an electrode and produce a tiny electric current - it's an interesting observation you have made, but probably requires more testing before you are ready to take on the lovers of nice, shiny copper strips and make your fortune!  ;)

Following this advice. I have decided to sperriment. ( it gets the ex in front if it dont work. )
one bit of chicken wire on the ground with 6 pixi plants on it and 6 plants straight on the ground. both in pots. I shall report back on the rate of munching in a couple of days

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52 »
Good for you!  ;)

Hope it works, otherwise you'll not be making a fortune selling Pixie plants either!  :lol:

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 11:16 »
Take a look at this

ZoBeKS64_xc
and this, below so

FGaWs42ReR4
One could create a small electric fence to surround your plants
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:22 by cadalot »

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 13:34 »
MMMMMM  Fried slug. Interesting that one. Perfect for my cold frame

xx
slug Deterrent

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 20:12
by Aidy
xx
SLUG DETERRENT

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2006, 07:54
by yewtreemob
xx
Slug and Snail deterrent.

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 10:10
by iwantanallotment
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.