Agapanthus

• 7 Replies

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Agapanthus
« on: December 19, 2014, 19:56 »
I've never grown these before but I'd love to give them a go. I asked at a garden centre and apparently the bulbs are available from January onwards. Anyone able to give me any tips or recommend any particular variety that I should try?
Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 21:45 »
The only thing I know about them is that they quite like being potbound / congested.

If you're putting them in pots, well drained and use John Innes #2 or #3 compost rather than multipurpose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:21 »
The Evergreen ones are usually tender and need protection in the Winter - I grow those in pots, plunge the pots in the border for the Summer and then bring them into frost free greenhouse for the winter.

The Deciduous ones are more hardy, although some may still need a bit of protection.

Other than that it depends a bit on what you fancy. There are some very tall ones, some with very dark blue flowers, and some that are prolific & hardy but less dramatic - such as Headbourne Hybrids (you can grow those from seed, but it will take a couple of years before they flower)

Avon Bulbs have a reasonable selection, in case you want to have a look to get some ideas of colours etc.

http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/spring-planted-bulbs-and-snowdrops/agapanthus/c65/Catalog.aspx?size=0

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:43 »
I've had agapanthus growing in a pot for years, they've survived really low temperatures outside but what I would say is to make sure that they are in a sunny position in the summer.  They also seem to like a fair amount of watering, I really love them.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:56 »
they've survived really low temperatures outside
Sorry to labour the point, but this is very dependent on variety / type, most Agapanthus will be killed by really low temperatures (particularly if in pots left outside as roots will get colder than if planted in the ground) and I would hate anyone to buy one of the tender types and then lose it by not realising that it was not hardy.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 14:16 »
Thanks for your comments.  I'll probably go with deciduous ones. We're quite mild and sheltered here. My pots will be on a south facing patio so should do well I think. Thanks again.

Agatha

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 21:47 »
Just seen this topic - if you haven't ordered your agapanthus yet - I've had several from Broadleigh Bulbs - they do a lovely selection, send a good-sized clump and amazingly, most of them flowered in the first year of planting.  Had 3 orders from them now.  Only problem is deciding which ones to choose... 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 14:10 »
If anyone wants seeds then PM me for my address and send a SAE.
Alien Plant.jpg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 14:10 by cadalot »

xx
Agapanthus ...

Started by wellingtons on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2006, 23:13
by trapper
xx
Agapanthus

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:31
by Hey Jude
xx
Agapanthus ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 19:47
by mrs bouquet
xx
Agapanthus

Started by judas25 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 01:11
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.