Lethargic and sleepy hen (2)

• 4 Replies

Carrie99

« on: March 27, 2016, 14:47 »
Hi there,

Sorry to jump on to this post (as I'm of no use as such - tell me to start a new thread if that's more appropriate) but I have a similar issue today and also wanted some advice. My Buff Orpington was in the coop today - went to check she was ok and she was very lethargic appearing, even her head appeared to be low and she wouldn't lift it up or move. I panicked and set up a space for her alone, went back to get her and during this time she had laid an egg. She laid yesterday too but prior to that hadn't laid for almost 6 months (she's around 2-3 year old). I've kept her separate anyway and she looks perkier, is eating a little and has had a normal looking poo. I'm just worried as I have never seen a hen act this way when laying before - is this normal or perhaps due to her just starting to lay again?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 20:10 by New shoot »

grinling

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 18:03 »
Could be useful to start a new thread

Coming back into lay could be tiring...still waiting for Sooty to start here...but they do draw their head in a bit when laying.

Check temperature under each wing with your hand and compare  with your other birds. Always worthwhile looking at eyes & is breathing clear. Are the poos alright. Have they been delouse recently. Check for redmitein nooks and crannies of hen house with white paper..smears red if present.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 20:11 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Lethargic and sleepy hen (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 20:19 »
I've split this into its own thread  :)

One of my girls has done this before.  I went into the run and she came racing out of the coop looking for treats, then collapsed.  I rushed her inside, but by the time I had got the puppy cage out to put her into, she had laid an egg on the kitchen floor and was coming round again.  By the next day, she was fine.

Check everything as Grinling suggests, but it may just be a one of those things and she bounces back with no ill effects  :)

Carrie99

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 00:19 »
She seems fine, checked temperature and seems similar to others. She's always been a little off to me, sneezes a lot and had a few trips to vet but he can't find anything troublesome. Hoping it was just the egg! Put her back with the others and she *seems* back to normal so fingers crossed. Maybe I'm just being over anxious!

grinling

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 14:42 »
always worthwhile asking...do you use sawdust in the coop as sometimes this can cause chickens to sneeze....it makes me sneeze.

xx
Lethargic and sleepy hen

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 09:51
by Tom Parrot
xx
sleepy hen

Started by Burny on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 22:39
by traacyken
exclamation
Is my sleepy hen ill?

Started by crem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 22:34
by crem
question
Sleepy chooks?

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 09:31
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 30 queries.