Onion sets

• 3 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Onion sets
« on: May 27, 2012, 19:15 »
I have planted sets of red and white !  They have green shoots on them but the sets themselves seem to be the same size .  The ground is manured and they are watered regularly.  Am i being impatient or should they be more sizeable by now !  Any tips appreciated. Been in a while i think early april .
NOT ARF !

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion sets
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 19:19 »
Impatient!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allot2learn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 19:46 »
Back end of August, beginning of Sept mine usually come out of the ground.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:55 »
I have planted sets of red and white !  They have green shoots on them but the sets themselves seem to be the same size .  The ground is manured and they are watered regularly.  Am i being impatient or should they be more sizeable by now !  Any tips appreciated. Been in a while i think early april .

They don't really fatten up for a while.  To begin with the set is depleted as a nutrient source for early growth.  So the set gets smaller, the leaves get bigger.. and later the bulb will start to swell again.

Have patience young padawan.

Maybe I'm cruel, but I don't water onions unless they absolutely, desperately need it and are going to die if I don't.  With that nice wet spell a few weeks ago they got their roots down nicely and haven't been troubled by the hot week just gone.  The only ones I've watered have been the red onions grown from seed and planted out last weekend.

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
DIY onion sets?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 08:25
by LilacSandy
xx
onion sets

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 09:34
by davethespread
xx
Onion sets

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 10:11
by newseed

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 35 queries.