What chickens do you have?

• 25 Replies

boosmummy

What chickens do you have?
« on: June 19, 2011, 20:03 »
what types i mean? ive been looking at chickens and im think i like the look of the blue ranger and the speckeldy, partly because they are mostly docile and so will be easy to manage and handle.

So what do you have and how do you find them? xx

daisy1990

Re: What chickens do you have?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 20:21 »
we have a cream legbar, a blackrock, a bluebelle, a speckledy, a Maran, two light sussex and Mulberry who is ginger in colour but we have no idea what she is (other than broody most of the time!)  They all have different personalities, but dont prefer any more than the other.  The chicks we chose because they were autosexing and we got them at a week old, the others it was simply because that was what the breeder had!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

boosmummy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:23 »
we have a cream legbar, a blackrock, a bluebelle, a speckledy, a Maran, two light sussex and Mulberry who is ginger in colour but we have no idea what she is (other than broody most of the time!)  They all have different personalities, but dont prefer any more than the other.  The chicks we chose because they were autosexing and we got them at a week old, the others it was simply because that was what the breeder had!

so the bluebelle and the speckledy in particular are they as docile as they say they are? xx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 20:29 »
I have a bluebelle and a speckledy, both only 14 weeks old, but they are growing into beautiful birds. They're still very nervous, but are getting better. The bluebelle is way more inquisitive than the speckledy, who just follows her friend about and copies everything she does. They are just starting to hand feed, but any sudden movements and they're off :) They spend all day perching on various things around the garden, always together and cuddled up...so sweet. I think they have the potential to be really nosey and I havent seen a hint of aggression off either, regardless of how scared they've been.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 20:45 »
I have borrowed a Dorking hen from a friend and she is just lovely, a breed I would have in the future.
We are hatching some Orpington and Brahma eggs as these breeds are also known for being docile and great as pets.

boosmummy

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 20:49 »
I have a bluebelle and a speckledy, both only 14 weeks old, but they are growing into beautiful birds. They're still very nervous, but are getting better. The bluebelle is way more inquisitive than the speckledy, who just follows her friend about and copies everything she does. They are just starting to hand feed, but any sudden movements and they're off :) They spend all day perching on various things around the garden, always together and cuddled up...so sweet. I think they have the potential to be really nosey and I havent seen a hint of aggression off either, regardless of how scared they've been.

this is good to know thank you xx

boosmummy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 20:50 »
I have borrowed a Dorking hen from a friend and she is just lovely, a breed I would have in the future.
We are hatching some Orpington and Brahma eggs as these breeds are also known for being docile and great as pets.

brilliant thanks, these are two potential other breeds to compare when deciding what to get xx

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:53 »
I have Light Sussex, Barnevelder and Barred Plymouth Rock pullets.  They are all friendly and docile - I would recommend any of them.  They all ate from my hands within a week of me getting them, and they are very human-oriented, rosey away to me whenever I'm in the back yard.

The Barnevelders are very motivated by food, and very assertive when demanding my attention.  They follow me so closely I'm in danger of stepping on them if I'm not careful.  But although they are bold, I wouldn't describe them as affectionate.  They prefer not to be picked up if I give them the option.

The Barred Rocks are the most affectionate and will happily let me stroke them.  One of them will jump onto my shoulder - but I think it's more because she prefers the view from up there!  They both use their beaks a lot to explore the world, pecking at the toggles on my jacket, the band on my boots, or the fabric of any new clothing I wear.  They are much gentler with their beaks than the Barnevelders.  Their action is more like a baby putting something in its mouth, rather than an actual peck.

The two Light Sussexes have very different characters.  One will come close enough to eat out of my hand, but will dodge away if I try to touch her.  The other is very bold and will stand face-on and shout at me!  The bold one will stand her ground while I stroke her or ruffle her feathers, shouting all the time.  ::)

I adore all of them - they all have their distinct characters, their likes and dislikes.  I really wouldn't be without them now I've discovered the pleasure they can bring.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 07:59 »
I would say all of ours are docile (other when they bullied the new girl on the block!) they follow us around and two of them will be picked up and cuddled, all will eat from our hands and all are good with the rabbits that they free range with.  Also think about the number of eggs you want and the colours of eggs, our Maran lays beautiful coloured aggs and we are looking forward to blue eggs when our chick starts to lay

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:40 »
A black tail, a blackrock, a bluebell and a speckledy.
Not really noticed any difference in any of them.

The bluebeel seems to have sat out all the fighting, but shes twice the size of the rest....
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

emmaellis

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 17:47 »
I have a light sussex (rather gobby), an 'oxford blue' (not sure of actual breed but she's BIG) and a speckledy who is the only one who replies when I call her name and lets me stroke her!
She's definately my favourite but I love all of their individual personalities!

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58 »
Three rhode island red /light sussex ....very friendly nosey  and greedy!!   Two Silver laced Wyandottes..bit scatty
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09 »
I have 2 rehomes 6 buff orpingtons. 3 black orpingtons 1 gold lace orpington chick 1 buff orpington chick. They are very big birds so they do not try to fly too much and are very calm and easy to handle. I have one cockerel who is a real gent, the girls always eat first and he waits for his turn, again he is very calm and easy to handle which cannot be said for some cockerels. If you have children I would recommend orpingtons, Good luck and have fun looking at all of the different breeds :D

mummyhen61

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 19:31 »
Hi, we have 3 Light Sussex; they're all real characters, and very friendly.  They are only just 18 weeks old, so haven't started to lay yet, but to be honest eggs are now going to be a bonus - I've forgotten what life was like before them - they are just so great!  There's nothing quite like a cuddle after a rubbish afternoon at work...!

Helenaj

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:05 »
I have quite a selection of pure and rare breeds as well as the commercial hybrids:
Wellsumers, Double Laced gold and silver Barnevelders, Marans, Vorwerks, Light Sussex, Orpingtons, Wyandotte, Sussex Stars, Speckledys, Black Rocks, Columbines (Legbar hybrid), Jersey Giant, Ixworths, Barred "something" (we thing it's a Plymouth Rock!), Leghorns, Le Fleche, Moorshead Owlbeards, Thuringians, RIRs, Brahmas.

I did have a Bluebelle, who sadly passed away after the last harsh winter as she was an old lady and she was the best of the bunch. She was inquisitive, bossy and always top hen despite her age. I can thoroughly recommend them.

I've just realised I may be a bit obsessed with chickens!

xx
What chickens are these???

Started by Carla on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 06:47
by sneezer
xx
Do you eat your chickens?

Started by khelashi on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 00:19
by khelashi
xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:24
by Springlands

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 34 queries.