sugar snap pea plants turning yellow

• 2 Replies

mollyblob

sugar snap pea plants turning yellow
« on: June 17, 2010, 19:33 »
One of my pots of sugar snap peas is turning yellow.  They were growing beautifully, loads of leaves and 2'-3' tall.  Over the last week the leaves of the plants in one of the pots have turned yellow.  The other pots are looking fine, and there's not much difference in how much sun etc each pot gets.  There's 3 plants in  each pot and all the plants in that one pot have changed colour, so it's not just one ill plant.

Any ideas?  

paintedlady

Re: sugar snap pea plants turning yellow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:02 »
Yellowing leaves could mean anything - too much warmth (peas are cool climate plants so don't like their roots getting too warm) or could be responding to a cold snap but as it affected just the one pot, I might be inclined to think about the roots.  You don't mention pot size so I'm wondering if it is pot bound.  It could also be the result of the potting soil either getting too dry, or too much water (we had heavy rain here and many of my pots at home were drowning at one point) and that can lead to rotting of roots.  Too much water could also have flushed out a lot of nutrients.  Or you could have a beastie in the soil of that one pot.

You could try giving them a liquid feed to see if that will boost any new growth, or failing that you could try repotting and it will give you an opportunity to check if it is pot bound & how healthy the roots are.  As a last resort if there is no improvement, you could sacrifice one of the plants to see if there is anything in the soil attacking the roots.  Meanwhile, you could always sow some more in fresh soil to be on the safe side ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mollyblob

Re: sugar snap pea plants turning yellow
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 23:06 »
Thankyou... lots of useful suggestions  :)

Hmm... I don't think too much warmth could be the problem here in chilly lancashire!  The pots are about 18" diameter, I think they should be big enough?  I did notice that that one pot is the only one that's not plastic, though the soil doesn't seem any wetter or drier than the others.  It's got big drainage holes in the bottom, so I think it should be draining.

I'll feed it tomorrow and see if it perks up, otherwise I can repot it and see if that helps. 

xx
Plants turning Yellow

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 01:14
by colin120
xx
new potato plants turning yellow! help!

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 09:57
by Debz
clip
Potato plants turning yellow at center

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2019, 20:19
by blackberryjam
xx
sugar snap pea

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 20:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.