Bitter strawberries

• 6 Replies

gypsy

Bitter strawberries
« on: September 22, 2009, 14:15 »
Hi there everyone,
This year I grew perpetual strawberries in the poly tunnel, in buckets filled from grow bags, the man on the next plot showed me what to do. He has grown strawberries in this way for a few years and has always had a fantastic crop. This years his strawberries were bitter, my first crop were few and far between, with large leaves and they were bitter too, they are  cropping again now, some of the fruit is sweet but other berries are bitter and the odd one is sour. Does anyone know what we have done wrong and is there a cure?  Catherine
Catherine

Trillium

Re: Bitter strawberries
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 04:50 »
Its possible that some of the plants are different varieties of perpetual. And it's also possible that the growbag contents aren't up to standards. Strawberries need lots of feed, but not in the current growing season. Its not too late to feed them with either rotted manure or a watered down slurry of old manure around the plants (never on them). they also need regular and adequate watering to keep the sweetness along with lots of sun, something a lot of UKrs complained they got little of this year.

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39 »
Thanks for that Trillium.  :) Catherine

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:43 »
I always thought you weren't meant to feed strawberrys, i was under the impression if you feed them then they dont produce fruit just leaf?

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 13:26 »
I always feed mine with tomatoe feed or comfrey, if you feed  high nitrogen you get large green leaves and not much fruit. Gyp

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 15:04 »
You have just reminded me must feed mine now before next season starts.  Not perpetual.  That is what you meant Trillium isn't it feed after they have finished fruiting but before, say Febuary.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 16:15 »
That's right Sheila - feed after fruiting is finished. If you feed during fruiting times, you'll get soft watery berries that rot quickly as well as lots of leaf growth rather than fruit.
Feed anytime now to prepare plants for next year's better fruiting, and do some clipping off of the old reddish leaves which are now useless. Now is when the plants genes are telling them how much food is now available to calculate how many flowers to put out next year. No other plant really works this way, just strawberries.

xx
strawberries, ripe but quite bitter

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 22:22
by Annen
xx
Bitter parsnips

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 18:12
by galen
xx
Bitter Pit Disorder

Started by Gandan57 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 00:20
by Trillium
xx
Bitter cucumbers

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 18:45
by simbamara

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 35 queries.