celery

• 11 Replies

ray_thornhill

celery
« on: May 12, 2007, 15:45 »
help? i think i have took to much on a freind of mine gave me some young celery[blanched] plants in early april i said no i don,t know how to grow themhe said it was easy well i am looking for help and to make it worse there are for our show in september and i havent got a clue
r.thornhill

splodger

celery
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 17:24 »
i've not grown self blanching celery - only the trench varieties - which i shall leave alone until the end of summer, then cover stems an earth up.

if you have lots of plants that you don't want - try eating them - they should have a lovely celery taste - mix with other salad leaves or cook with them for a delicate flavour - it's all the rage in the top restaurants to use immature leaves - they normally have a great flavour.

one of my young corriander's gonna get the chop tonight - in a chilli.

back to your question - i guess  if they are self blanching - just leave em to it :wink:

WG.

celery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 17:35 »
I gave up on celery, I'm afraid.  Have planted lovage instead for its celery flavour but I concede that it ain't gonna win the Celery Cup at any show.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
celery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 18:04 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I gave up on celery, I'm afraid.  Have planted lovage instead for its celery flavour but I concede that it ain't gonna win the Celery Cup at any show.

Very interested in your reply WG.
I decided to grow lovage for the same reason, celery taste without the string.
Then you told me where to plant it (N end because it will grow quite tall).
Now! I have one plant which is still very fragile - yes the one that germinated out of all I seeded, - AND a big strong fellow that I shamefacedly bought from Gordale. What I'm wondering now, as I don't know how productive the bush/tree will be, is should I plant both and grow 2 trees. I have the space, up by the comfrey teapot.
What do you think :?:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

celery
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 18:09 »
Heck yes, plant them both.  Apart from soups & stews, my book lists all kinds of culinary uses.  Fresh leaves eaten as greens.  Blanched stalks as celery.  Stems candied like angelica.  Seeds in fruit salad or sprinkled on cakes.

And one might die on ya!

Jim T

• Experienced Member
celery
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 18:18 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Heck yes, plant them both.  Apart from soups & stews, my book lists all kinds of culinary uses.  Fresh leaves eaten as greens.  Blanched stalks as celery.  Stems candied like angelica.  Seeds in fruit salad or sprinkled on cakes.

And one might die on ya!

8)  :D GREAT :!:  :D

David.

celery
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 18:20 »
If they are self blanching celery plant them in a bock about 9" apart in manured ground after danger of frost has passed and keep well watered.

They grow much better if you erect some form of barrier around them. I use a strip of polypropylene tarpaulin (about 2 foot high) around the perimeter, held in place with old garden gazebo poles pushed into sleeves in the tarp run up on my sewing machine (also used for outdoor peppers).

Sheena

• Experienced Member
celery
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 18:36 »
I used some of my lovage yesterday in a fish pie instead of parsley - it tasted fantastic!

I love it chopped into homemade vegetable soup, it really livens it up.  :D
Organic :)

WG.

celery
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 19:33 »
Quote from: "Sheena"
I used some of my lovage yesterday in a fish pie instead of parsley - it tasted fantastic!

I love it chopped into homemade vegetable soup, it really livens it up.  :D
Good to hear some first hand experience Sheena.  Maybe you could post a lovage recipe or two in the Cooking forum?  Pretty please.

Sheena

• Experienced Member
celery
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 21:09 »
Tis done!

BAK

• BK This and That
celery
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:55 »
I would add the following to David's comments for self-blanching celery ... water, water and water (they are bog plants) ... beware of slug damage ... and (sorry if this is blatantly obvious) but being half-hardy it will succumb to the first frost, so get the crop out of the ground before then - I personally aim for late September.

David.

celery
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:31 »
I've not found it possible to get enough protection around to keep plants through winter for seed saving. They made it to early March this year before the frost got them.

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Celery

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 23:32
by Kajazy
xx
Celery

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 01:30
by sclarke624
xx
anyone know about celery?

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 11:26
by Ice

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 38 queries.