help please

• 3 Replies

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
help please
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:06 »
is it ok for ex bats to live witha cockrel they i have had the for 6 months and someone from here is intrested in having them from me and just wanted to make sure first as i want the best home possible for my sweet little ladys

Rubellite

Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:48 »
Some people would say no, as ex-batts might not be strong enough to take the attentions of a cockerel :(
I have put one of my spare cockerels in with my hybrids (including ex-batts) as he was fighting. He is with 9 girls and I am keeping a close eye that he doesn't harm them, so far so good, but if he gets rough I do have the space to be able to separate them.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 14:31 »
Think it would depend on the state of your ex-batts?  They do vary.

But,  I do remember reading a lovely article featuring an ex-batt who had been rehomed, and within a year had hatched a batch of eggs and become an ex-batt mum!

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 16:03 »
Hi there,
We have two ex batts, and our neighbour has a vey butch cockerel , all of them free range and mix together and the ex batts seem to love his "attentions" makes their combs a deeper shade of red! He can get a bit rough at times though , and as has already been said , as long as your girls are fit and healthy , and maybe able to get away from him if they need to as ours can, should be ok.
Mind as I always say there are others on here with FAR more knowledge than me , I can only speak of my own experience.
What a lovely story of the ex batt becoming a mummy ! Anything is possible !
Good luck Ju

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.