Library is Open - This book is excellent

• 24 Replies

mrs bouquet

Library is Open - This book is excellent
« on: October 06, 2020, 14:57 »
By Mark Greaney  -  "The Gray Man".       He is a legend in the covert world, silently moving from job to job, accomplishing the impossible, then fading away.    He always hits his target   ..........

I came from the library with 10 books, they were heavy to carry, but must have books !! 

What are you reading, apart from seed catalogues.   :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Library is Open - This book is excellent
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 15:02 »
Yesterday I finished the Shepherd's life by James Rebanks, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
 Today I've started on  chick-lit Here Come the Girls by Milly Johnson :)

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 15:36 »
Just started reading Ellie Deans Cliffhaven series, covers WW11, based in south coast town.  According to my sister it's not great literature but the ideal thing to read on a miserable afternoon.  I have 18 books to read!

wighty

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 18:52 »
Try some Lucie Whitehouse,  The Bed I Made is set here on the Island which is what made me read it.  She must have done her research well as I knew every thing she mentioned.  The one I have just finished is 'Before We Met'.  They start well and you get through chapters 1-20 and then 21-23 its one chapter at a time but chapter 24 it was one paragraph at a time.  I just had to go away and absorb what I had read.  Men don't come out very well in her books!

grinling

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 13:41 »
Just finished Earthsea, 1st 4 books, waiting for Holbeach library to open so they can send Tales from Earthsea

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 15:36 »
Is that the fantasy stories about things that .......   Sorry I don't do fantasy, but having said that, all novels are fanatsy.     Hope you library soon opens, ours have been open, albeit on a couple of afternoons only, for a few weeks now.  Mrs B

grinling

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 20:55 »
Ursala Le Guin. BBC radio 4 ex did Tales from Earthsea.
My library is open, but several in Lincolnshire still closed.Still have loads at home to read

wighty

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 07:07 »
Like Mrs. B.  our libraries are open, three afternoons a week.  You have to queue outside and they let three people in at a time.  Most of the reference sections are blocked off but you can ask if you want a book and can name it from these areas.  Only one person per aisle and your name, temperature and a phone number are taken.  Books returned are 'quarantined' for72 hours before being put back out. You go out a different door than you enter.  I will admit I was very grateful it re-opened as I really was scrapping the bottom of the barrel re-reading books on our shelves at home.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 10:12 »
Our library has just announced it is reopening - but I shan't be going because I don't want to go on a bus atm.
I'm lucky in that we have a book share along the terrace... A large plastic box where you put your read books in and take out those you fancy. It's working well :)
I make sure to wipe the books (and my hands) with sanitizer and then leave them the advised 72hrs before reading.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 09:53 »
I enjoyed his first book so much that I've just read his second :)
English Pastoral by James Rebanks. I can thoroughly recommend it, a lovely history of his life, on the land, plus food for thought on modern farming methods and choices to be made for the future.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 11:58 »
My library has a lovely assistant who brings me up books, about 20 at a time.   Th last box was all books by Laura Levine.   She is a 30 something chocoholic with a gay neighbour and her cat is called Prozac.    The stories are all Murder plots, but so funny.  If you like a good mystery who-dun-it, that will make you cry with laughter, this is the author to try.     Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 05:53 »
Our library in Cranbrook has a click and collect sort of arrangement.

I ordered the two latest David Baldacci books, read one, and have just started the fifth book by Robert Galbraith (J.K.Rowling) - 'Troubled blood'!

It is way over 900 pages, and like the great writer she is, one is totally hooked from page one!

If anyone is thinking of reading them, they'll benefit from starting with 'The cuckoo's calling', and then working through with 'The silkworm', 'Career of evil', and 'Lethal white'! They are fabulous stories! Cormoron Strike and Robin are so 'believable'!

I just feel that this lady is sitting down with you and telling you an interesting story, with absolutely no hyperbole or exaggeration, and just making normal communication of a good, intricate yarn.

(And thank you Mrs B, for the tip about 'The Gray man'! I wanted to find out more and start on them as well but couldn't remember the author's name)!

(And Snows, I'm coming up for the final Kay Scarpetta novels - 'Blow fly' is next. Excellent stories)!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 13:20 »
Our library in Cranbrook has a click and collect sort of arrangement.

I ordered the two latest David Baldacci books, read one, and have just started the fifth book by Robert Galbraith (J.K.Rowling) - 'Troubled blood'!

It is way over 900 pages, and like the great writer she is, one is totally hooked from page one!

If anyone is thinking of reading them, they'll benefit from starting with 'The cuckoo's calling', and then working through with 'The silkworm', 'Career of evil', and 'Lethal white'! They are fabulous stories! Cormoron Strike and Robin are so 'believable'!

I just feel that this lady is sitting down with you and telling you an interesting story, with absolutely no hyperbole or exaggeration, and just making normal communication of a good, intricate yarn.

(And thank you Mrs B, for the tip about 'The Gray man'! I wanted to find out more and start on them as well but couldn't remember the author's name)!

(And Snows, I'm coming up for the final Kay Scarpetta novels - 'Blow fly' is next. Excellent stories)!

I promise everybody will enjoy the "Gray Man" novels.   Mrs B

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 14:37 »
My library has a lovely assistant who brings me up books, about 20 at a time.   Th last box was all books by Laura Levine.   She is a 30 something chocoholic with a gay neighbour and her cat is called Prozac.    The stories are all Murder plots, but so funny.  If you like a good mystery who-dun-it, that will make you cry with laughter, this is the author to try.     Mrs Bouquet

Hi Mrs B
Not exactly in the same vein, but have you come across Lana DeLeon's Miss Fortune series?  CIA agent hiding from mob, masquerading as a librarian in a Louisiana small town.  Good plots, loads of eccentric silliness and loads of interesting characters.  I've found it to be a series that hasn't yet run out of steam in the way many do.  Very few books described as laugh out loud raise more than a smile, but I actually do have a good chuckle at these.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 15:47 »
Talking about detectives, the Guido Brunetti series, set in Venice, by Donna Leon are a very good read. I'm always waiting for the next book to be released....

xx
Library charges...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 12:10
by Growster...
xx
excellent biographies

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 21:45
by Tenhens
xx
are they going to open

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2020, 22:14
by grinling
xx
Difficult to open - Help ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2023, 14:35
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 55 queries.