What to do about the foxes?

• 21 Replies

compostqueen

Re: What to do about the foxes?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 22:54 »
I think it's incumbent on us to make sure our foxes can't be got at rather than killing every fox in the land.  How many of us could actually catch a fox in the act and be able to shoot it? Not many I suspect. 

I keep hens but feel no ill will towards the fox. It's just their nature to kill to live, so I let them be. My husband did hit one on the head with a torch but that's as far as he was prepared to go  :D

kev1986

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 23:47 »
yeah you can shoot on land which is yours or you have lawful authority to do so but not in a built up area or withing 50 feet of a built up area or public highway or bridleway no matter if you have a closed or open cert , sorry but your feo is out of order saying you are ok to shoot out of you bedroom window at foxes in a built up area , you not even allowed to have a loaded magazine while inside built up area or house never mind shooting

Casey76

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 07:03 »
CQ, while I agree with you on principal and understand the "laws of nature" unfortunately there is no current population control for foxes, and in some areas they are becoming a real pest.

One of problems is that some people, who think they are doing the right or good thing, will trap foxes in the city, and then dump them in the countryside - which is not only illegal, but it is only moving the problem from one area to another.

A friend of mine lost almost his entire flock (over 20 birds) of show quality birds to foxes he suspects were dumpees (when caught they were very well fed, something which you wouldn't expect of a countryside fox this time of year)

NormandyMary

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 12:22 »
I lost another of my girls this morning, my darling red Ruby. No sign of feathers anywhere, so I assume that she was just carried off. She was the smallest of the three, a real character, and she was beautiful. RIP Little One.

helens-hens

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 13:13 »
NormandyMary, sorry to hear such awful news, I can imagine how upset you are. As you say RIP Ruby  :(
Helen

NormandyMary

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 13:19 »
IM SO HAPPY!!! News of Ruby's demise were premature! She's just turned up outside the kitchen door with her sisters looking for their daily treat. OH saw her first, he couldnt believe his eyes. I just danced round the kitchen in glee. I have no idea where she could have been hiding, I can only assume she was in my next door neighbours field. Little Monkey!!!!
Thanks helens-hens for your kind thoughts.

Mary.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 13:22 by NormandyMary »

helens-hens

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 15:48 »
That's great news - there's nothing like having a happy ending!

xx
foxes

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 11:56
by T C
xx
foxes

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:52
by shetan
xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
F***** foxes

Started by snozzer on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 22:20
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.