grass clippings....

• 5 Replies

chopkins1313

grass clippings....
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:25 »
Hi all,

I've got a few rows of rasberry canes and had a bit of a problem with weeds last year. This year I'm hoping to put a bit of mulch down to help supress the weeds a touch, and maybe even add a little something good to the soil!

Now I know that putting woodchippings on the soil can actually draw nitrogen out of the soil and so not the best idea for under fruit bushes, but what about grass clippings?

Are there any pros and cons of using grass clippings as a mulch for instance I don't want them to become a haven for the pesky slugs!

Any advice greatfully received!

Chris

savbo

Re: grass clippings....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:46 »
I like the way they turn into a sort of cardboardy stuff - really holds weeds down and moisture in. BUT I guess that makes them good for slugs

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:17 »
I used grass clippings as a mulch on the rhubarb and raspberries last year.  I don't know that it made any difference to the amount of slugs - we've got tons here anyway :( - but it certainly worked to conserve moisture, and the worms pulled pretty much all of it into the soil by the end of the season.  I'd replenish it with every mowing (not that we mowed often!) to make sure there was always at least 4" depth.  Nitrogen-wise it didn't seem to do any harm, because it wasn't in the soil - by the time it got there, it'd already been through a worm, which probably makes a difference!  :D  If you do use it, make sure you water well first though, as once it starts to compact a bit you really have to soak it to get water through.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 14:02 »
I put the first lot of grass cuttings around the rasps yesterday . I have not seen many slugs underneath it in the past umpteen years i`ve been doing it . Some gardeners do sprinkle a few slug pellets down before mulching but i never have.

If they do show in numbers the chooks will be let loose for a slug-fest. :)

chopkins1313

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 14:10 »
Ah I do wish I had chickens, or at least the ability to borrow someone elses every now and then to keep the slugs at bay. I've reluctantly started using pellets on a few beds this year so think I'll give the grass clippings idea a go.

rock_chick

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 20:49 »
The problem with chickens though, is they don't just eat the slugs!  >:(
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

xx
Grass clippings

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 21:22
by purplebat
xx
composting grass clippings.

Started by kentishgal on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 22:33
by compostqueen
xx
No dig potatoes using grass clippings

Started by vikingraider on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2024, 22:35
by Snow
xx
Using grass clippings as a mulch

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 01, 2020, 11:53
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 39 queries.