Meat Bird breeding

• 24 Replies

spud

• Experienced Member
Re: Meat Bird breeding
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 12:25 »
If I remember correctly Munty mentioned these, but I had no joy in tracking them down over here.
I really don't want something that is too slow at getting to the table either, a nice blend of new and traditional .. I'm quite sure I'm not the first, but its difficult finding the research   ;)

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:48 »
In that case spud you could look at crosses.

The best cross for meat  is with an indian game cock over a traditional dual purpose bird -one that has a long back(with width if possible) and deep keel (breastbone) is important. this will compliment the large frame of the Indian game bird and give you more breast meat. This cross will also deliver a faster growing bird. These conmbinations were commonly used in the 1930's with great success!

The most successful meat cross with Indian Game are: Dorking, Faverolles and Orpingtons. You could also use Sussex (go for width here) and Australorps.

If you go down this route have a look around for good utility strains, avoid ebay!! and try and source from established breeders. :)

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 15:34 »
To add onto what Foxy has mentioned regarding traits. If possible set up different lines for each trait, it is easier to fix one trait per line than get them all into one line only.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 23:08 »
Thanks Foxy, have you tried any of these crosses? I'd be interested in hearing your experience with them, please.

And that sort of gets me back to where the thread started ... I guess I'll have to pay my money and take my chances.

Its a problem getting good fowl over here, just because it looks like a Sussex it is one ... thats what I come up against, no breeding to improve things, just breed. I'm not saying its the case with every breeder, but most Ive come across.

I think I'll probably try a few mastergris's next month.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Foxy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 00:05 »
Spud, I haven't  tried those crosses, but I do have a utility strain of faverolles I raise alongside the exhibition ones. They are lovely and the flavour is sublime, they come in at a useful weight at 20+ weeks

The information I posted is a result of chatting to an old timer recently, these crosses were common practice at that time.

If you would like to try some hatching eggs from the utility strain I have just let me know ;)

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 11:19 »
Thanks Foxy thats a very decent offer, I'll probably take you up on that. Have you got any pics handy?

Cheers

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 12:37 »
Heh im not sure if this has been mentioned in previous topics, but Hugh in the first season of river cottage did some trials on the best meat bird.

He ended up with an Indian Game crossed with somthing else as the best - i forget what but if you flick through the first season on Channel 4OD you should be able to find it hehe
I hate signatures but love irony

Foxy

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 13:03 »
Thanks Foxy thats a very decent offer, I'll probably take you up on that. Have you got any pics handy?

Cheers

spud, have a look across at the globe thingy (on the left under my avatar) that will take you to my website ;)

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 16:30 »
I'll try that Lewjam, thanks

Cheers

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 18:10 »
Heh im not sure if this has been mentioned in previous topics, but Hugh in the first season of river cottage did some trials on the best meat bird.

He ended up with an Indian Game crossed with somthing else as the best - i forget what but if you flick through the first season on Channel 4OD you should be able to find it hehe

IG x Dorking. Very nice, as are Faverolles & Ixworth, that's why I keep them.

xx
Best chickens for meat? And meat bird tips please!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 22:31
by pushrod
question
advice on the best bird to use for meat

Started by bucilla on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 21:28
by binghamd
xx
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question

Started by kentishlad on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 10:21
by Carolinew
xx
Ladies meat bird project. More pic's added

Started by kimT on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:26
by kimT

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.