Chicks dying!!

• 6 Replies

Bobby74

Chicks dying!!
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:23 »
Hi,
     I'm looking for advice on my chicks, I did have 7 and now they are 3 weeks old and I have lost 4! :(
They are on medicated chick crumbs, plenty of fresh clean water and are kept on shavings indoors in a indoor rabbit cage with their own heat lamp.
They are fit and healthy and show no signs of illness and then they just drop! They never had any visible signs of illness, pasty bums etc. So I'm at a loss to what could be happening. I have 3 left and want to keep it that way!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!  :)

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicks dying!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 13:43 »
Could they be getting to hot?
I dont remember keeping chicks under the lamp to long when my family reared chicks years ago.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

kegs

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 15:39 »
I'm clutching at straws here and I'm not an expert either but I hope it might throw up something so that someone with experience can help. 

What sort of heating/bulb are you using in your brooder box for the chicks?  Are you using a good/fresh bag of chick crumb?  Had the rabbit cage/feeders/drinkers been disinfected and if so what with?  Where did the eggs come from?

Does anyone know whether it could be anything to do with the eggs before they're incubated that might cause so many deaths?

I've checked in The chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow and the only diseases for 3 week old chicks who die from sudden death that aren't in the 'rarely die from' category are 'sudden death syndrome' 'infectious anemia' and  'ulcerative enteritis'. 

Wish I could be more help and good luck with the other chicks.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 18:30 »
Could your rabbit hutch have red mite? They might be being bled to death?

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 19:23 »
I would try taking them off the medicated chick crumb and use some unmedicated. Also start adding some cider apple vin to the water, and used bottled water instead of tap water. CAV helps with the ph balance in the gut, I mix approx 5ml to 1ltr water.

I only use unmedicated chick crumb now, if I get any problems I add coxoid to the water. I had real problems last year with chicks on medicated crumbs they would just stop thriving and die, no matter what I did.

This year, touch wood, things are going reasonably smoothly  :)
Hope things get better

Bobby74

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 20:23 »
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.  :D

They are kept in a plastic zoo zone cage, so no wood for red mite to hide, thanks for the suggestion themagicaltoad1.  :)

I will get some non-medicated chick crumbs tomorrow and I already have cider apple vinegar for my hens
So will start adding as soon as. I have trawled through books and don't seem to be doing anything wrong and I don't know how fresh the chick crumbs are either, so will change just to be sure.

Where would I get the coxoid to add to their water, if I encounter any problems?

This is my first hatch and still new to this, but don't want any more of my little fluffies to die.

Thanks again Sam   :D

kegs

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44 »
I bought some Coxoid online at MedicAnimal.

Nice rabbit cage!  I wish I'd seen these before I bought a plastic tub, it looks ideal as a brooder cage.

Good luck with the other chicks Sam.

xx
chicks dying

Started by tegan on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 17:19
by tegan
xx
dying chicks

Started by kimtwig on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 22:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicks dying

Started by tomroyall on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 16:23
by kegs
xx
WHY ARE MY CHICKS DYING? PLEASE HELP

Started by GREENERS on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 09:06
by New shoot

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 38 queries.