appetite

• 5 Replies

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
appetite
« on: January 16, 2011, 13:00 »
Help! my chickens have stopped eating,mash and pellets, wont touch them even when i leave them in the run. Am getting worried that they will lose weight. They free range in garden all afternoon so i know they are eating but cant understand why they have gone off pellets ? Help !
I love my chickens

PaulineM

Re: appetite
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 15:35 »
Hi
Try to limit their free ranging time, perhaps they are filling up on what they are foraging for.
Are they laying yet? if they are it is more important that they are eating their layer pellets so that they remain laying.
I know this is very basic information and I'm sure more experienced members will be able to help further.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 18:03 »
Are you changing the pellets/mash daily?  It goes stale so just put out what you think they will eat.  If they are in their run first thing, they should fill up on this. Pick up the feeders and take them in at night as feed left out can attract vermin like rats.

If they free range all afternoon they will be finding some food, but I would be surprised if they were getting that much this time of year so it is odd they are not eating any of their basic feed.  Make sure they are not getting access to wild bird food, dog or cat food ect.   

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:37 »
Thanks, i will try leaving them in the run, no treats till late afternoon. They not touching any food this morn, just calling to be let out into the garden! I could do with some more info about this, any would be appreciated. they stopped laying late dec. They will eat porrige, salad leaves, meal worms etc but wont touch, pellets or mash unless i mix them with porrige ( which they will eat from my hand but not the bowl! ) Thanks x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:53 »
they are being fussy, I would just give them layers for a couple of weeks, no treats, no porridge (unless the porridge is made by mixing layers pellets with warm water).
They will squawk to be let out if that is what they are used to but please persevere.
Staffies are softer than you think.

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:59 »
Thanks, will take your advice, kind of knew id been spoiling them, especially over the cold spell. Am such a soft toutch! Will let you know how i get on x

xx
Appetite

Started by uba on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 09:47
by compostqueen
xx
Loss of appetite

Started by wardy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 23:18
by ANHBUC
xx
Loss of Appetite Suddenly

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 09:42
by Aidy
xx
POL rhode rock loss of appetite

Started by JOP on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 22:07
by JOP

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.