egg eating chickens!

• 16 Replies

Debbieta

egg eating chickens!
« on: April 03, 2013, 20:21 »
Hi,
Sure I'm not the first to have chickens who break their eggs and eat them :(.
Can any one suggest a design to remodel their nest boxes so that the eggs roll away into a different space so that they are out of beak reach.  They do all lay in their nest boxes 99% of the time so it seems the most practical idea.  Have thought I would try putting golf balls and mild chill powder in their boxes for a few days to see if it would help, but not overly confident :mad:
Hoping to get some ingenious ideas if not solutions!

Springlands

Re: egg eating chickens!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 20:27 »
I am sure someone will give you design advice but in the meantime I would suggest that you ensure that the hens have plenty of grit and oyster shell available. They might be eating the eggs to get the calcium from the shells.

Debbieta

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 20:37 »
Yep, all the chickens have both available in unlimited quantities!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 20:46 »
it is perfectly natural for a chicken to eat an egg if it is broken - this is to hide any evidence and stop predators from finding them. If they are deliberately pecking holes into them then place some pot or rubber eggs in there - or buy rollaway egg boxes like these:-
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/ChickBox_Rollaway_Nest_Box.html
Staffies are softer than you think.

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 21:42 »
Are you sure its the hens doing it and not the dreaded Rat.

This happend to a mate of mine but it was rats on not the chooks.

Debbieta

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 20:45 »
Yep, sure it's not rats. Run and enclosed area of shed are all predator proof, unless they go at it with dynamite!!
I've been stuck in there and been totally unable to get out, with lots of time to think of cunning ways (nearly an hour, thanks to daughter!) And I know I'm bigger than a rat, before anyone points it out, but it did give me lots of time to think of any possible weak spots!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 21:59 »
Place a whole fresh egg on the floor of the run in view of the birds and stand quietly and watch how they react.  If they run towards it and try to break it they are confirmed egg eaters, rather than just clearing up the nest.

If there is one more determined than the others she may be chief culprit, and will need to be removed to out of sight of the rest of the flock.  Though of course it is a learned behaviour so they may all know how to do it by now. 

If they show an interest but do not determinedly try to break it then it is probably a case of thin weak egg shells which are being broken in the nest. 

Of course they must have access to sufficient calcium to form their egg shells, and most mill feeds contain maximum amounts of calcium, but I have a small pot of oystershell available as well.  They will also need vitamin d to allow them to absorb this, small amounts of cod liver or flax seed oil can provide this. 

In the old days the cure was ad lib fresh eggs (which should not have entered any sort of kitchen - defra regs).  Some say this will lead to egg eating, I have never found this and given sufficient fresh eggs to satisfy their desire for extra protein, calcium and vitamins most will rapidly be cured, but there is the occasional one which will never be cured, probably some sort of chemical imbalance in her system, and really the only sensible way forward is to cull her, or alternatively be prepared to keep her on her own as a non egg supplying pet,  segregated from sight of the others or they will tend to copy her behaviour.

The old traditional ideas of darkened nest boxes (bit of curtaining over opening) dummy eggs especially useful to put in nest boxes before lay has started, or washing up filled blown eggs can help, (in my experience eggs filled with chilli or mustard do not work as birds do not experience taste in the same way as mammals - Birds Chillis got the name because birds eat the seeds) 

I find that a hen which has all she requires nutritionally will spend all day in a pen with an egg in full view on the floor without touching it, even though previously a hysterical egg eater.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 12:59 »
My 3 will eat any shell-less eggs that are produced and we have one that will peck a hole in any thin shelled eggs and eat the yolk. We have one hen that sometimes still lays these, despite having good quality layers pellets, free access to grit and oyster shell and a little cod liver oil daily. We have tried all sorts including Shell Max but it doesn't help.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 13:08 »
If they have a calcium imbalance it will probably be an ongoing thing, but if they are just coming into lay it will probably sort itself out in a while, as long as it doesnt become a habit - eggs, as we know, are rather tasty and very nutrious.  A little cod liver oil for vit d helps calcium absorbtion, but how old are they are what type of hen?

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29 »
Hi darkbrowneggs, not sure if you are asking me  but...... the hen that lays the soft eggs is a copper black. She is approx 17 months old. It has always been an issue with her. She lays quite large eggs and even the ones with harder shells have always had a rougher surface than the others, who lay smooth shelled eggs. Many of her eggs are shell-less and those that have a shell it is very easy to break them (sometimes just picking them up is enough). They quite often have patches of rough shell, resembling barnacles, on them. In every other way she is fit and healthy, so I'm wondering if it's just a genetic problem. They all have a few drops of cod liver oil daily. They also have free access to grit/shell (although they seem very uninterested in it). I even put Shellmax in the water as a calcium supplement - nothing works with her eggs.  :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:40 »
You are probalby right Jomtie about it being in the breeding.  They are bred so much for egg production that there are bound to be some that have difficulty in producing a strong egg shell.  I have a Bovan Goldline that is the same as your Copper Black, she was 22 weeks old when we got her and already laying.  She often laid double yolkers and softies.  I tried everything to improve the shell quality and even a little limestone flour which seemed to give the best results.  She hasn't laid for months which I am pleased with as it must be difficult for them to lay a soft shelled egg.

I think that giving cod liver oil daily might not be good for your birds.  Can't remember why but I think joyful has posted about it affecting some internal organs.   :unsure:  I will ask her and get back to you.   ;)

Joy advises only 1 - 2 drops of CLO as it can damage the liver.  Better to cut out all treats for your hens and give them dark green leafy veg (not from your kitchen as per DEFRA regs) to help with the absorption of calcium.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 13:06 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 00:06 »
I have one of these roll away nest boxes, they are pretty good, the egg gets laid, the hen gets out the egg rolls out of sight

I have had hens that lay an egg during the night while they are roosting, it breaks, and they do eat it, but wiit the roll away I havent had any hen eat an egg yet (touch wood) :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Silkychicks

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13 »
What I have learned is that, when you feed your hens egg schells, you have to make sure that they will not be able to recgonize the shape being an egg: so shredd it up really well.

When they do recognize, chances are they will have a go at their own eggs because it is 'easy calcium'.
So thinking logicaly it could also have started with a weak egg.

I am sorry I can not add anything leading to a solution for you problem, but maybe this can help in the future.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:20 »
Ive had a few eggs eaten by the hens but nothing epidemic. My theory is that they crack slightly when they lay then they peck at the crack so really I just need more bedding in the nesting area to stop them cracking. I have heard you can use a golf ball as a cheaper alternative to a rubber egg or maybe a suitably shaped pebble. Also check you are giving them enough grit as it could be their way of adding grit to their diet by eating the shells and I guess you dont want them to make that association.

pepsi100

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:35 »
I use oyster (shell), fine, when I put grit in there they never touched or showed any interest in it,I tried to put it in their feed, that never worked either

Never tried any of the other methods, didnt seem much point when their are eggs in there, I have blown an egg and put mustard in that (along with anything else, hot chilli sauce, curry powder) but it never put them off, but now I dont think I have any egg eaters from this new batch

xx
Egg eating chickens!

Started by May May on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 09:34
by May May
xx
Egg eating chickens

Started by May May on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 08:27
by joyfull
xx
I've got some egg eating chickens.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 13:03
by spud
xx
Chickens eating more?

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 12:43
by Chicken_Lover

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 40 queries.