Clearing Rubbish

• 12 Replies

mrs bouquet

Clearing Rubbish
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:52 »
In my Mum's garage is an old table (legs screw off)  A metal frame for under a single bed, Old Barbecue, Three wheel walking trolly, and a few old paint tins and boxes.  2 garden chairs.  In the shed, really not
much, In the house a 4'6" bed that splits apart.
Got a move and dump it quote.  Now I know they have to pay to use the tip, and fuel etc,  BUT £250 + vat !!!

No wonder people are fly-tipping.   If the dumps took this rubbish .......

So I am going to load up my car and make trips to the tip myself.   And I promise I won't be dumping it in a layby.  :lol: :lol:  Regards, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
Re: Clearing Rubbish
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 13:41 »
Around here items that are not needed are put on side of property with sign free.

Also have you considered gumtree or pre-loved  sites.

Paint is a problem at council dumps, if your wont take it ask when they have their special weekend for collecting it.

ht

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 14:52 »
Two lads' wages, van, fuel, insurances, licences..... seems pretty fair to me.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 16:10 »
That's quite a realistic price sadly.
I had a relative who ran a small waste collection business in the very early 90's when a small truck load of rubbish cost around £10 to dump. By the mid 90's it had soared to around £65 and kept heading up. Ulitmately those costs had to go to the customer and by 2000 his business was over as he was constantly being undercut by the fly tippers.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 18:24 »
The council will usually collect larger items/paint etc for a charge. Try this link https://www.adur-worthing.gov.uk/bulky-waste/
Val
Recipes Galore!

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 18:39 »
getting rid of household rubbish is getting a real pain now when everyone is asked to recycle as much as you can to clear up the environment then the councils close the recycle depot for several days then they want to charge us for collecting garden waste its no wonder our laybys are being used as dumping centres as are the hedgerows and at the end of the day the council picks up the tab for clearing this rubbish up that of cause is out of our council tax that leaves othere sevices short of funding

the punishment for fly tipping is finally getting grips to make those who litter our countryside pay the price or the punishment to fit the crime at last someone has actually decided to do something to these fly tippers  who have absolutely no interest in keeping our countryside enviroment friendly

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 21:07 »
the local council dump is excellent but you can only take things in a car and trailer.
this is why I find it very strange when stuff is dumped. surely if they make the effort to load it  they can then take it to the dump.
in our area used furniture will be taken by home makers who repair or recycle. the better stuff is sold on in their warehouse/shop

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 23:49 »
Our council usually charges £25 for removing old furniture and paint tins etc. so I wait til I have a job lot, rather than just individual items  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33 »
the local council dump is excellent but you can only take things in a car and trailer.
this is why I find it very strange when stuff is dumped. surely if they make the effort to load it  they can then take it to the dump.
in our area used furniture will be taken by home makers who repair or recycle. the better stuff is sold on in their warehouse/shop

Ahh but not if it’s commercial,it costs businesses to dump things at the tip, and particularly these white van men who get you to pay them, not all of them take it to the tip, they’re the ones that fly tip.
We used to have what I called the toot toot men coming round looking for scrap metal, people would leave it out on the front for them( I never did, as sometimes you’d see them have a look round to see what else they could see) the council here warned everyone that it contravenes some bye law because of these chaps just stripping the metals they want & fly tipping the rest.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 12:44 »
Apart from the bed all that could be utilised on an allotment I bet!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 13:51 »
Apart from the bed all that could be utilised on an allotment I bet!

If anybody can use any of it and wants to take it please come and help yourselves.   Maybe the bed could be used on the lottie for sunbathing, tea breaks, sleepovers  etc :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for all your ideas, Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 14:04 »
Are there any charity shops that might make use of the trolley,table, they might do collections too?

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 15:40 »
If the bed frame is the old angle iron type they are great for door frames on fruit cages and chicken pens !
Anything aluminium should be picked up for nothing by the local scrap merchant.

xx
Litter/rubbish picking

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post March 30, 2019, 20:24
by wighty

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.