Veg patch advice required please

• 23 Replies

Scribbler

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 13:52 »
It was just an observation, not a call to do anything silly!  :D
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

paintedlady

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 14:01 »
Quote from: "soaplady"
Hi Again,

Do have another question though,  the greenhouse is covered in bubble wrap, do I need to take it off, or will everthing grow ok if it is left on?

Also there is a big square metal open water butt in the greenhouse that the previous owner set up, the GH itself has guttering all around it, and so the rain constantly fills the butt up. Not sure if I should empty the butt though, as I don't think the GH has been used for a few years. The water doesn't smell, so do you think it would be ok to use. Would be great if so, as won't mean a long trek down the garden to the other butt.

Soaplady

If you are growing things now up to March/April, I would be inclined to leave the bubble wrap on for extra insulation.  Sometimes the bubblewrap in my greenhouse doesn't always come down over summer :oops: and has been no problems.  But if the greenhouse hasn't been used for a while, then give it a thorough clean and if necessary, disinfect it before using.

As for the water butt, it might be wise to empty it as you do not know if there are any contaminants eg weedkiller.  If it is not rusty, give it a really good scrub and rinse it out well if you want to keep.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

WG.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 14:09 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
It was just an observation
:wink: so was mine  :wink:  :D

wellingtons

Hiya ...
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 14:33 »
... if your sister is anything like any other horse owner I know she'll have some well rotted stuff about somewhere, so do ask her ...  :D

Just one thing I would mention though, as you dug the runner beans into the ground it wouldn't surprise me if you got baby beans popping up as a reminder of your hard work last year.

As for being ambitious with your seed choices, go for it, but don't get started too soon.  Make a planting plan, from the seed packets so you know what to plant when, taking March to April to mean late March or early April.  It'll give you something to do now and keep you keen, but not too fast off the marks.

Enjoy your garden!

Scribbler

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 15:41 »
Soaplady - see the "Grow Your Own Veggies Information" part of the forum. It's a new addition since you were last here. Full of info. Much like John's upcoming book - ooops, sorry. A plug crept in there...

soaplady

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 18:33 »
thankyou all so much for your advice, very much appreciated. I will empty the water butt I think, as there seems to be some muck at the bottom, I am sure it will get filled up pretty quickly with the great weather we are having :wink:

I have some sweet peas in the greenhouse at the moment which I planted last October, (on advice from Monty Don) and they are growing really well. mainly due to my Mum who comes over, and reduces the plant by picking out all the tops, but they have got bushier so I feel that I am growing something already. My hubbie planted some purple sprouting  broccolli last year, the pigeons got to them before he covered them, but they are not doing too bad, should I poo them as well?  Sorry about all the questions, I have Carol Kleins book, but it's not as explanatory as I hoped it would be, so I will probably be pestering you all loads on here. :D
I will definately have a look at the other forums, I have posted on the gardening equipment one about my lovely wellies (crocs), so expect to see posts on all of them at some time or another. hee hee

splodger

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 18:49 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "Scribbler"
Just been out to my garden. First signs of new growth all over the place. Brilliant!
May I be allowed to preach some realism here ... I just want to common sense to prevail over rampant enthusiam!

Early growth can be expected from spring bulbs and established perennials with their roots deep down in the relative warmth.  This should not be taken as a cue for mass planting of everything in your seed box.

:?

bad advice old man  :wink:

if you don't know your garden that well - don't get too carried away - have you got frost pockets - what are the weeds like - is the soil good etc etc etc

the butt in the gh - if gh is a decent size - might be because the previous owners had plants that would need rainwater - not tap water, like some camelias, rhododendrons, azaleas etc

many pelargoniums would prefer rainwater too - especially if your tap water is hard  :wink:

i would empty the contents of the one inside - clean it out well - hook it back up and use it for your seeds and other gh plants - as it will be at the right temp for them - and so much better than tap  :wink:

Scribbler

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 08:46 »
Just as an afterthought. You're probably doing this already, but you can start composting all your uncooked organic kitchen waste, with a view to feeding the soil.

soaplady

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 11:30 »
Hi Again,

We do compost, the previous owners seemed to have been very keen, as we have three compost bins, a leaf mould bin, and two compost heaps, we have used some of the compost already, it was like soil it was so good, but my hubbie has now redone them all, and mixed everything back up to rot down again. So hopefully by the summer, we should have a lot more lovely stuff.

clip
Advice required.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2022, 13:27
by mumofstig
xx
Spud Advice Required

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 11:51
by gregmcalister
xx
Manure advice required

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 19:09
by Kleftiwallah
sad
Disheartened - help and advice required please

Started by kev p on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 07:56
by Babycat

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.