Strawberries and woodchip

• 14 Replies

Ivor Backache

Strawberries and woodchip
« on: April 20, 2010, 20:59 »
I am expecting the first of three strawberry beds to produce fruit this year and my attention is now to provide straw, but it is not easy to find. Local farms are all doing maize.
Contractors have shredded the hedge of a nearby field in preparation for building and I have have a few bags for paths. I have now sieved a bag and separated the course stuff with the intention of putting it around the strawberries instead of straw.
Has anyone tried this  or have any thoughts? Thank you.

Beetroot queen

Re: Strawberries and woodchip
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 21:01 »
one of the ladies on our site did this to hers and she wished she hadnt as the increase in woodlice was huge and its one bug she cant stand LOL

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 21:21 »
Whatever you do, don't use hay. All the legume seeds still attached will sprout and you'll have a headache. If you can't find straw, then use grass clippings or even weeds which you've let dry for a few days before setting out as mulch. Or, use weed barrier fabric.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 23:26 »
Thank you for the replies.
I hadn't thought of the woodlice, but I doubt if they would bother with strawberries. I had heard of hay and that would encourage slugs especially when wet.
I thought the chunky wood shreddings would keep the fruit off the ground and keep slugs off the fruit.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 19:31 »
We make paths of woodchips and it works well as they can be dug in when you want to move the path. It doesn't seem to make any problems where I am.

rikknikk

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 20:51 »
I was thinking of buying some strawberry mats but have some weed preventer material, would this work?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 21:41 »
I was thinking of buying some strawberry mats but have some weed preventer material, would this work?

Trillium mentioned this but I would have thought it would provide a safe place for slugs. I have searched the forum and this has not been discussed before.

I will try it and see what happens. I also have thick catalogue paper which if shredded into strips may do equally a good job.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 21:48 »

yup - most of mine are planted through slits in weed fabric, (36 plants, half in their 2nd year) but I still put straw immediately round the base of each plant - belt & braces! Oh - and you probably need slug pellets, organic or otherwise as the pesky critters like the warm, damp dark conditions under it. Don't forget yer bird netting too!!

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 23:02 »
I was thinking of buying some strawberry mats

Being a Yorkshireman I wouldn't buy anything if I could get summat for nowt that would do the job. Dried grass clippings or wood chips should work. This is my first year with strawbs and I've grown them in old tyres to keep the fruit off the ground.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 23:42 »
I am expecting the first of three strawberry beds to produce fruit this year and my attention is now to provide straw, but it is not easy to find. Local farms are all doing maize.
Contractors have shredded the hedge of a nearby field in preparation for building and I have have a few bags for paths. I have now sieved a bag and separated the course stuff with the intention of putting it around the strawberries instead of straw.
Has anyone tried this  or have any thoughts? Thank you.

maize husks would be preferable to woodchips,too much moist resin and aggresive bacterial activity within woodchips.
try half with and half without,tis the only way we learn.bob

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 23:46 »

Trillium mentioned this but I would have thought it would provide a safe place for slugs. I have searched the forum and this has not been discussed before.

I will try it and see what happens. I also have thick catalogue paper which if shredded into strips may do equally a good job.

thats the biggest problem with new fangled matting.pay a fortune for it lay it down and yas just created a perfect enviroment for one of the guys you are intending to keep at bay lol.

straw or any other dry husky type material alongside netting.jobs a good un. :)

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 14:43 »
That's Ivor's problem - he can't easily get hold of straw or other husky material so is looking for alternatives.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 14:52 »
I used woodchips last year - never even thought about it, just had them around so that was what I used. No problems from my experience. A few weeds still get through and I imagine in a damp year there could be more problems. I also covered over the top with chicken wire to keep the big critters out.

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 15:08 »
Try asking at your local archery club.  They often sell off old straw bosses at the end of the season or after big tournaments, because the middles get shot out.  A boss is basically a spiral of straw rope bound together with twine - remove that, and you've a lot of useful straw that'll go nicely on your plot. 

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 15:49 »
Thank you for the replies.
I hadn't thought of the woodlice, but I doubt if they would bother with strawberries. I had heard of hay and that would encourage slugs especially when wet.
I thought the chunky wood shreddings would keep the fruit off the ground and keep slugs off the fruit.

OHH yes they do, and they stay inside the berries they have hollowed out so you get strawbs with crunchy centres. :D

Fortunately cheeseybobs  prefer slug pellets to strawberries . :)

xx
Woodchip is it ok to use on allotment

Started by Scarecrow1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 22:00
by mumofstig
xx
woodchip path

Started by neatntidy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 13:28
by beesrus
xx
Woodchip as compost

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 21:16
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
woodchip to stop weeds

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 07:24
by arugula

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 35 queries.