woodchip path

• 16 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: woodchip path
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 13:39 »
I find with the deeper woodchip that foxes are forever digging about in it to get worms and grubs. Some mornings it's really pockmarked.

Same here, but there isn't a lot you can do about it, I have been told to grate up some really bad perfumed soap as they don't like it, I have visions of going to the site after rain and finding it under a sea of bubbles if I do.

Mine are always being dug about. It was me today though as I am extended some beds, and once I had scraped the new stuff off the top, the under layers lifted off easily and are full of worms, so into the compost it will go  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

beesrus

Re: woodchip path
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 13:28 »
My woodchip paths and beds tend to be a moveable feast, and those paths are always teeming with worms after a year. The paths are more for moveable drier less dirty walkways rather than demarkations of permanent beds.

When those paths are re-situated, usually within 2 years when I fancy a different shape, the resultant soil left behind has always been excellent and very fertile. The oft quoted nitrogen leeching thing must only be in the early stages of wood chip decomposition. The old paths can result in the odd patch of white mould, but that's never been a problem. It's not as if it's onion rot mould ... it's probably most beneficial.

xx
Moss on path

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 21:36
by Springlands
xx
Path problem

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 19:20
by Yorkie
clip
allotment path

Started by Pollen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 22:08
by Hobovore
clip
Allotment Path

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2024, 16:30
by bobbyt

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 32 queries.